People Will Hate You, It Will Have Nothing To Do With You

People Will Hate You, And It Will Have Nothing To Do With You

It's not you - it's them.

17

A snarky comment, a shady post, a scornful laugh. The girl that whispers to her friend and looks at you. The friend group that never invites you. That one person who hates you, and you don't know why. We've all encountered unkindness at some point in our lives. We've all felt like the butt of someone's joke.

This kind of thing happens to me sometimes, and it can be really difficult. I know what it feels like to be talked over. I know what it feels like to be made fun of. I know what it feels like for people to twist the truth about me.

People are mean, and it can seem like there's no reason behind their hatred. People will hurt us, and we won't understand why. Our instinct is to internalize, wondering what is wrong with us and why people don't like us. But really, it's a problem completely removed from us.

If someone is targeting you, chances are it is because she is unhappy. It's not because of you. It's because of her. Under the surface of a mean person is a hurting person. Hurting people hurt people.

Everyone is trying to be loved and accepted. Sadly some people go about it the wrong way, hoping that, by putting others down, they'll feel better about themselves.

Understand that they are hurting and are looking for a distraction, something to make them feel better. Don't let other people's ugliness affect the way you see yourself. Ignore the ones who hate you because their opinion does not define you.

The way someone treats you says a lot about them, not you. Don't doubt your own value because of someone else's inability to see your worth. Keep being yourself, and don't let someone else's unhappiness change you.