Finding Peace Amidst The Chaos

Finding Peace Amidst The Chaos

Things may be falling apart, but that doesn't mean we have to.

405
Finding Peace Amidst The Chaos

Peace.

A word, a feeling, a state of being – commonly evasive but not altogether impossible.

On a large scale… perhaps less achievable, but who decided it had to be achieved worldwide first? Perhaps peace has to start on a personal level before it can start to appear globally. But where to find peace amidst the chaos of life? Everyone’s got their own ideas about that. For me… It can actually be quite simple.

I’ve always been fascinated with elements of nature. Thunderstorms, pouring rain, forceful wind, roaring waves. Add some tunes (right now, I’m choosing “Of Monsters and Men” or "José González"), bring in a cup of coffee and a book, and I’m in my happy place. There’s a reason I love living in the Pacific Northwest, and if ever you wondered why, look it up! Be it mountains or coastlines, cities or countryside, it’s got it all. I find that when I’m lost in my head, worn out and stressed beyond relief, the remedy can be as simple as running barefoot outside in a thunderstorm (although if you do it on a college campus, you will probably get a lot of funny looks. Not that I know from experience or anything.) Or, it could be as intentional as getting into a car and driving to the hills, above the city lights, and just being. Breathing in the fresh air. Getting lost in the moment. It’s an indescribable feeling – releasing all the thoughts crowding one’s head and letting the rest of the world fall away.

Why am I telling you about my happy place? Because I want to stress how vehemently we need those kinds of moments. Those moments can be so influential, and they can give us the strength to get through another month, week, or even just another day. Maybe it seems silly, but truly – with so much information, problems and stress coming at us from every direction, it’s a lot to take in. It’s too much to figure out all at once. Sometimes, we need to recognize our need for a release... and find it. We have to allow ourselves to be inspired.

Even now, when most students are out of class, and the amount of stress is for the most part, significantly less, one look around will show that there are still a barrage of problems we inevitably face. There seems to be a never-ending supply of fear and confusion. Plenty to cloud our thoughts and plague our minds. Plenty to give us a need for release.

Again, I reiterate: find a way to let peace win over your thoughts. Yes, things may be falling apart, but that doesn’t mean we have to fall apart. Get out. Build a sandcastle, or make friends with a pilot who will take you flying. Breathe. Go on an adventure. Find your creative outlet and release those things that keep you up at night.

Some time ago, when my thoughts were too numerous to figure out, a huge wind storm picked up. Call me crazy, but somehow knowing that nature could have more energy, power and chaos than what was going on in my head was a great comfort. Anyway, when I need an outlet, I like to write. So, as the wind was howling and the trees were having the limits of their elasticity tested, I wrote. Whatever your creative outlet may be, don’t be ashamed or afraid of it. It doesn’t have to be museum worthy by the world’s standards, because it doesn’t have to be for anyone but yourself. In those moments, the therapy is your own, not anyone else’s.

So, don’t let pride convince you that you always have to figure everything out. Sometimes, it’s OK to admit that you just need to get out. As long as when you find that peace, you remember to be a responsible person and come back. ;)

Recognize your need for peace. Find it.

And maybe, just maybe, if we all can figure that out for ourselves, we can start to understand better what it would take to achieve peace on a larger scale.

For those who happen to enjoy poetry… here’s mine. Not a perfect poem, but an honest one. About a time I felt peace. And for those who don't enjoy poetry... there's only one thing left to say.

Peace out. (I saw the chance... and I took it.)

The Wind speaks its own language
Writes its own poetry
Sings its own songs
As I sit surrounded by its entropy
I am filled with contentment.
The Wind is boundless… Ageless… Heartless…
Beautiful.
This uncontrolled chaos rippling through the trees brings a joy I can’t describe
I can think of no better thing – than to join with the breeze.
Wrap me in the arms of the wind
Let me roam the earth as freely as thee
Let me soar through the trees and make friends with the clouds
Let me fly where this old language abounds
Sing to me in the language of thee
Teach me the poetry of the trees,
And Set me Free