Participation Is Used Every day & It's Not Going Anywhere

It truly is not..

9

For me, participation is something that I know that I would use in leading my non-profit because goal setting would lead to a reward system for my nonprofit, as the book says. But as a current leader of an organization at UWG called Odyssey Online, I make sure that I set goals for my team and also give them the opportunity to earn rewards once we have hit our goals through having participation, this including submitting their content and showing up for campus events and meetings.

I think that as an organization you certainly have to show up to go up, and participation is something that is crucial for this because it is showing others around you that your organization is not just a machine like the book mentions. Participation includes elements of having steps like a machine to achieve goals like holding an event for the community to come out in order to raise awareness for a cause. That being said, It's important to focus on relationships that surround the non-profit.

Life stages come to mind when I think about leading a non-profit. I have to utilize this in my current organization mentioned above because not all members of my organization are of the same classification or walk of life. I have to understand where some members are coming from in certain situations in order to give them support. But sometimes it's hard because I'm not a mind reader and its a challenge to understand certain members if they do not come out and say they are struggling with an issue like mental health. But something that I try to implement is having a policy where if they are struggling and they do not want the whole group to know right away, they can privately send me a message and explain what's on their heart.

As far as this affecting my current organization on campus, I think that I will keep the issues between myself and the member. But I also want to teach the rest of the organization that it's okay if they do want to share some of their struggles because then that allows us to talk in the open about it, which will help in creating a healthier environment as a whole.