Should Parents Support Their Adult Children?
Parenting

No, Karen, My Parents Aren't Spoiling Me, It's Called Being Practical

Are we spoiled or is it necessary?

2110
Jade Alpha

"You're spoiled and your parents aren't doing any favors for you."

I hear this a lot, not only from people my age but from older generations as they sip on their drinks and scoff my way. It's because I know if I need something, all I have to do is ask my mom and dad and they'll do their best to help me. Some people would call that spoiled. But growing up, I never had anything handed to me. My allowance was having a place to live, running water and food in my stomach.

Yes, I am nearly 19 years old and have my parents supporting me. Yes, my brother is 21 and has our parents supporting him. The facts are simple: we need help, we can't do it on our own and they know that.

I am an out-of-state college student attending Auburn University. It is NOT cheap. My brother works as a delivery driver for a pizza place. He makes $4.25 an hour, works six days a week and relies on tips.

Making that $4.25 an hour, he would not be able to pay rent, not to mention gas, food, insurance, or any other expenses.

Here's the vicious cycle that I face.

You go to college so you can get a job. To pay for college, you need a job. However, it's very difficult to get a job if you have no previous experience but can't get experience if you've never had a job.

Most jobs have set shifts and won't work with your college schedule. Yes, I am aware there are people that are able to pull this off. I also know people that had to drop out of college to work more because they couldn't afford college, rent, food, etc. with what they were being paid.

My parents aren't spoiling me. They're being practical.

There is a difference between parents sending you USD $1,000 for existing and helping you pay your grocery bill because you couldn't afford it this time. There is also a difference between being 40 and living in your parent's basement and being 20 and needing help sometimes.

Don't judge a person having their parent's help when you don't know their circumstances. Someone may be struggling with mental health issues that block their ability to do certain things.

Just because my parents didn't leave me in the alligator pen doesn't mean that I'm spoiled.

It means that they know I work my hardest to do what I can, to make money and get good grades in the classes we pay for. They know how stressed I always am and know that I can't always do it on my own.

Parents should support their children until they have the ability to do it on their own. We're not there yet.

Don't judge me, and I won't judge you, Karen.