An Open Letter To Theater

An Open Letter To Theater

Theater, you have saved my life.

29
An Open Letter To Theater
The University Of Texas At Austin

Dear Theater,

Hey old friend. It's been a while since we talked, but don't think that for one minute I stopped thinking about you. You are constantly on my mind. Every hour of every day. You have been a part of my life since I was the age of seven when we first met. "Annie", that musical changed my life, so thank you. You gave me a first impression that was so overwhelming and powerful that you, Theater, have shaped my life. Guided me to the place I am now. You have created the person you see before you. So, thank you.

When we first met, I never thought you would become such a huge part of my life, but nevertheless, you are everything. When we meet in the dark auditorium for the first time when months have passed, I become calm. All my anxieties go away, I have no fear at all, only you can do that for me. Opening night, when your lovely red curtain rises, the guests are all in their seats and that first beautiful, warm spotlight hits my skin, it's like coming up for air. When we are not together, it is like I'm drowning. I am drowning, slowly and at a first glance no one would know. It would look as if I am just struggling enough, but still able to swim. That's because you have taught me how to live without you.

You have taught me what rejection is. In fact, you taught me at only the age of nine and then more than enough times after. You are the hardest person to hear "no" from. I hope with every ounce in my body that you will give me the call and say "yes," because yes means another two or three months together with you. When you reject me, it rips me apart, but when you say "yes", it's the best experience over and over again. Every time we are together it is different. I different show a different director, a different experience that changes my life in some way.

You have introduced me to many wonderful things. You have taught me many life lessons that I never would have learned without your help. Theater, you have shown me that no matter how dark the night, I am never alone. The people you have introduced me to have significantly changed me. They do not realize how much their presence impacts my daily life, but I am ever so grateful for our mutual friends, Theater, thank you for not hiding them from me.

You may have shown me rejection and you may have torn me down at times, but I know you meant it all in a loving and helpful way. You have taught me how to be humble. No matter how good I think I am or how well I believe I can perform, you show me that there is always someone better than me. You show me I have room to grow and improve, thank you. You help me train to be the best performer and person I can be. So, when I finally get that "yes" from you, I have honored and happy. I know I worked hard for that "yes".

Above all of these things, you have showed me that I am worth something. We took a break from each other for a while about a year ago, and honestly, I'm not sure how I survived. I thought I had no purpose here, but somehow when I finally gave in and went back to audition for another show, you showed me my potential. You showed me that I am here for a reason and that my purpose is with you.

Every song I sing, dance I perform, and monologue I speak, you help me discover a part of me that I never knew existed. You help me feel alive. For about two hours at a time, I forget about the outside world. All I think about is the beautiful piece of art we are performing. Theater, you have given me strength and courage. You have given me a safe place and home. You have led me to the people who really care about me, the people that matter most to me. You have encouraged me to do crazy things and have stopped me from doing regrettable things. You have saved my life. There is no way to organize a series of words in such a way that could accurately describe how thankful I am to have you in my life. You have shown me and given me things that I will never be able to repay you for. So, from me to you, thank you ever so much.

Sincerely,

Your old friend