An Open Letter To My Sophomore Year As Junior Year Aprroaches

It's been a year of growth.

153
Leah Kelly

My sophomore year of college is now over and I couldn't be more thankful for everything that happened in the past year. It was definitely one for the books.

I started the year knowing it was time to grind. I was no longer a freshman trying to find her way. I was now 30 credits into my college career, a full-fledged adult...minus the adulting. I had new classes, a new roommate and was no longer relying on a meal plan.

My grades were the best they had ever been. I was back with my friends staying up 'till the wee hours of the morning catching up on homework. I think its safe to say it was great.

Sophomore year, you were the year I started to take better care of myself. I was no longer skipping meals because I lacked time to sit down and grab a bite. During this time I got into my love for photography, I don't know why I even stopped, perhaps the stress I put on myself freshman year while attempting to have a social life and taking 16 hours.

This is the year I realized I needed a change. After all, that is what college is for -- finding yourself. So here I am, with a new major.

Freshman year, I came in knowing or so I thought that majoring in Criminal Justice was what I wanted, but after taking classes and sitting in during my friend's lectures I realized, in the long run, this isn't something I want to do. I didn't know what I could do with a degree in Criminal Justice. I think its safe to say studying computer science is what I was meant to do all along.

What sets you apart from freshman year is the amount of failures you unleashed on me. I tried desperately to join on-campus organizations, unfortunately, that didn't go as planned. I often wonder why this happened, but perhaps this was a blessing in disguise -- maybe something better is coming.

Such reasonings fail to explain the unpleasant surprises I faced. Remember the times my car battery died or the nail in my tire?

Life got real. In the past year, I have learned to be stronger, to get out of my little bubble and try something new. I met an awesome group of writers and I found my passion for writing.

Thank you sophomore year for making me who I am.