One Of The Hottest Trends Of 2015: Being Offended

Hypersensitivity was so in this year.

38

2015 has been a year of trends; the "man-bun," Snapchat filters, selfie sticks...and possibly the worst one of all, being offended.

I expect that this article may offend some, but these days it's simply unavoidable. 2015 was unfortunately filled with many controversies, attacks, and harmful events. However, that doesn't give us the right to go fishing for reasons to throw a fit. Save some room for the stuff that matters, otherwise you'll just look like the boy that cried offensive.

Here are just some of many examples when people just cared a little too much about something with little effect to their own lives.

1. Starbucks holiday cups

Last time I checked, Starbucks is already serving your very complicated coffee order, they really don't owe you much else. Especially, exclusivity to one specific holiday. The season is about celebrating the variety of holidays and letting people freely celebrate as they choose. Maybe the cups aren't Christmas-y enough for you, but maybe others don't celebrate Christmas at all. 'Tis the season to sip your coffee and jingle your offended bells elsewhere.

2. National legalization of gay marriage

A law that now allows more people to legally join their lives together and benefit from everything that comes with the unity of a marriage. What could possibly be wrong with that, spread the love, right? Wrong. Although many people were ecstatic about the legalization, there were still people out there that found issues with it, even though the issue had no effect on their already existing heterosexual marriages. Marriage is supposed to be a widely celebrated unity, despite gender. So naturally, this year there had to be people to find a way to get upset over one of the happiest, most loving acts two people can do together. Worry about your own wedding ring.

3. Caitlyn Jenner receiving an ESPY Award.

Caitlyn Jenner accepted the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the EPSYs this year. Caitlyn Jenner choosing to make her transgender journey public was a brave choice in itself. She made it known that she wishes to be a role model and voice for those struggling like she was. It takes an enormous amount of bravery to experience a huge life change in the public eye, knowing that there will be a lot of negative backlash from those who do not understand or wish to insult it. There will always be people out there that cannot agree with others' choices, their sexuality, or the way they live. However, again, Caitlyn Jenner's life does not effect anyone except herself and her family. To be offended over someone finally living a way that they always felt they should be and finally feeling 100 percent happy is a waste of your time. You don't have to completely understand why people do things or why they're different from you, but there is no reason to insult that or choose to be offended by that either.

Everyone has a right to react in their own way. However, some people are too quick to play the offended card instead of becoming more educated on the topic, trying to view things from a different perspective, or simply just moving on without giving it too much thought.

Here's hoping that maybe 2016 will be the year of thick skin and people worrying about things that actually affect them.