Why “One Love Manchester” Was So Much More Than A Concert

"But love conquers fear, and love conquers hate, and this love that you chose will give you strength, and it is our greatest power.”

7
CNN

On May 22 at Ariana Grande’s concert a terrorist bombing took the lives of 22 innocent people. As one can imagine, Ariana Grande was devastated and heartbroken. Instead of dwelling on her sadness, she instead held a benefit concert on June 4 that featured herself and many other artists including Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, and Coldplay.

Even though this concert was emotional, there was a powerful message that was shared by each and every person there: love. Even though just two weeks before the concert there was a horrible tragedy, the performers and the audience preached love. Love to the victims. Love to the families. Love to each other.

Here are some of the messages the artists shared with the audience:

“I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for being here today, I love you so, so much. Thank you so much for coming together and being strong and unified. I think the kind of love and unity you are displaying is the medicine the world needs right now. So thank you for being just that.” – Ariana Grande

“It’s not always easy to choose love, is it? Especially in moments like these, right? It can be the most difficult thing to do. But love conquers fear, and love conquers hate, and this love that you chose will give you strength, and it is our greatest power.” – Katy Perry

“Would you agree that love always wins? What better way to fight evil that with good.” – Justin Bieber

“Hatred will never win, fear will never divide us, because tonight we stood with Manchester.” – Scooter Braun

“The most important responsibility we have on this planet is to take care of one another, and look at what we are here doing today.” – Miley Cyrus

“Despite all the things that have been going on in the place, I don’t see or smell or hear any fear in this building. All we feel here tonight is love, resilience, positivity.” – Pharrell Williams

As you can see, this concert was more than a concert, it was hope. When everyone could have shown anger and fear, they chose to love. This concert showed that there is hope for everyone to overcome each other’s differences and love each other. There is so much hatred in the world and we often just accept it. Ariana Grande and everyone who attended the concert showed that they don’t accept hate, they chose love, they chose to fight evil with good.