Being an "Old Soul" in College

Being an "Old Soul" in College

If you're reading this, you probably are wise beyond your twenty years.

180
Being an "Old Soul" in College
https://pixabay.com/get/ef31b80d2efc1c22d9584518a33219c8b66ae3d01db3124093f6c17e/old-649268_1920.jpg

Do you ever feel older than your actual age? Got any issues relating to your peers in between Millennials and Generation Z? Are you not connecting with the kinda culture that they're immersing themselves in? Well, if you look up to the public figures of the 20th century more than today's disposable social media phenomenon, then this article is just right for you (don't get me wrong, I do look up to a few people from this decade, but I only do so because they've achieved fame for worthy reasons).

For a long time, I never thought of myself as an "old soul"; I mean, I do try to get Snaps and Insta my life as much as possible, but I just have aspects of me that don't necessarily line up with my college peers. To be a little more specific, I prefer communicating with others face to face instead of texts, because I feel that creates more connection than just texting from behind a screen if you know what I mean. Not to mention, my mother mentioned to me that I did have some traits of being an "old soul", although I just took what she said with a grain of salt.

Come to think of it, some of my habits would classify me as an "old soul". Going into detail with that, I tend to stay in most nights, not only because of schoolwork but the fact that the novelty of parties every weekend starts to wear off. It's easier for me to lose that, because I'm always that one guy at the party who doesn't need to get drunk to have a good time, but I never see the fun in getting hammered out of my mind on a regular basis.

As far as what I do that would really classify me as an "old soul", it'd have to be listening to music from yesteryear all the time. Sounds petty, right? I think so because while I do like today's musicians, they don't really attract me the same way that all the icons and legends of music from past decades do. By that, I mean they have distinct personalities, can actually sing and perform well, always show professionalism, etc.

Although I'm at the tail end of the Millennials, I relate to the older ones more, especially those who are around the same age as my sister and my cousin on my mother's side. No, I don't have an introverted personality, despite the fact that I'm an "old soul". And nope, I don't totally feel as if I'm born in the wrong generation. My status as an "old soul" comes from plenty of stuff, whether it's almost a decade of trying times or growing disillusioned by certain aspects of culture, actually gives me a lot of life lessons I didn't expect. These include not taking anything for granted, always making wise decisions that actually pay off in the near future, appreciating everything that came before me and never being ashamed of doing the things I love to do.