Why You Should Respect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Viral Dance
Currently

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Can Be A Dancer And A Thinker, Respect Her For Both

AOC's story proves no matter your nationality, birthplace, or career choice, if you keep fighting, learning, working, and dancing, you can make history.

4181
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez made history when she became the youngest woman elected to Congress. Despite being a politician, activist, and community organizer, she was recently criticized for a video of her recreating a dance from the movie "The Breakfast Club" back when she was in college. There were Republicans who called her a "nitwit" and slammed Ocasio-Cortez for enjoying life. Many of these Republican congressmen and TV personalities act like the world might end if they smiled for once in their lives. They would rather make comments about her past than show her respect and acknowledgment for her accomplishments.

The newly elected Congresswoman (who is a Democratic Socialist) proved to America that she is more than just a beautiful face and cool dancer. She was the first person in 14 years to challenge her opponent Joe Crowley for the congressional seat.

Ocasio-Cortez also ran a progressive platform (which terrified haters because they do not believe in change or progress) and is fighting to abolish ICE and provide things we need like tuition-free college and universal health care. She is a graduate of Boston University and began helping with immigration reform when she worked for Sen.Ted Kennedy.

According to the "New York Times," it seems that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is hated because her opponents feel jealous and threatened by the arrival of a responsible and independent woman (she's only been in office a week!) and would rather act like children. She is bullied by white conservative men (and women) who are envious of a smart and hardworking woman that is also spirited, adorable, and remembers to enjoy life. This is apparently more of an issue than a corrupt government and immigrant children being imprisoned.

Since Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is young, she is able to relate to millennials. They admire her (and probably secretly wish dancing like she did was popular today instead of dumb trends) and would consider her a role model. These are the reasons why she needs to be appreciated as a representative instead of being judged (this is not high school or college) for her dancing, fashion choices, or where she lived and went to school because she is a congresswoman, not a student.

There was a report by the "Atlantic" that explains that when color barriers or glass ceilings are broken, the person who made history will always be attacked for it. Ocasio-Cortez is a beautiful woman inside and out, and Republicans cannot seem to accept that.

She became a household name after winning the Democratic primary in the 14th congressional district and did not receive attention from networks before she won. The right-wing media is so close-minded that they resolved to make up things to ruin her reputation. One of the troublemakers was conservative host John Cardillo who criticized her, saying that living in an average house while growing up is bizarre for someone who went to an Ivy League school (it was actually Boston University), and the congresswoman responded back. Ocasio-Cortez expressed frustration about how people like Cardillo are afraid of how much she has accomplished.

While the news that a young female who is also a person of color and a Democratic Socialist who won in her district with 78% of the vote is enough to make a conservative fly through the roof of their house or mansion, it is a result of changing times in America and they need to stop whining.

Republicans also attack her on other things like her high school or her nickname, Sandy. Ocasio-Cortez went to public school in Yorktown in the Bronx because her parents wanted her to have better opportunities. The right will not give up mocking her because hearing that a woman became a congressperson at such a young age is mind-blowing.

Whether you like her or not (seriously, what is not to like?), Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is an inspiration to women everywhere, and her story reveals that no matter your nationality, birthplace, or career choice, if you keep fighting, learning, working, and dancing, you can make history.