No, I Can't Make Things Appear | The Odyssey Online

No, I Can't Make Things Appear

No, I can't ride on a broom stick (Quidditch anyone?)

17
No, I Can't Make Things Appear

Do you worship Satan? What does that even mean? So are you going to put a curse on me? Do you believe in Hell, because that's where you are going? I wish I could receive money every time I am asked these questions when I get into a convo with anyone about religion. It's almost funny after a while because you'd be surprised how many of the ideas about witches have carried over from 1692 (Salem Witch Trials). Believe it or not, I am a daycare provider. That's right, I don't eat children, I take care of them for a living. I even have a few of my own, and I didn't go praying mantis on my husband, he still has his head, I promise. My house is covered in children's toys and art. I love black, but I wear mostly sweat clothing. I also have ferrets and dogs, but no black cats. (Hubby doesn't like cats, He says he already has a wife. haha.) So what does being a modern witch entail? I'll explain.

So, to answer some previous questions; no, I don't worship Satan. Satan actually has nothing to do with my beliefs because he is part of a christian belief system. I am not christian, so doesn't apply to me. Which brings up Heaven or Hell? Neither. Also a christian belief. I believe in reincarnation, so no happy trumpets or eternal fire for me, I get to come back over and over again. As for the curse thing, no thanks. You see, Wiccans in particular believe in something called the rule of three. Meaning the energy you put into the world you get back three fold. That means, If I curse someone, I'm going to be super celestially screwed when that comes back on me and I'm not bringing that Juju in my house. ( Think VERY VERY bad Karma.) Not only that, but it takes less energy to ignore someone, than to curse them. Ain't nobody got time for that. I am super scared of the rule of three, actually. I go out of my way to try to be kind to everyone, even if they don't like me, just because I'm forever biding by the rule of three.

Magick (yes, it is spelt with a K) in essence, is just the act of positive thoughts and concentrating on them, putting positive energy into making the things you want happen. (Well, in my case positive thoughts, what you do with yourself is your business.) I believe that the universe works on energy, and the more positive energy you put out, the more positive things happen. I just don't use my thoughts, I do other things that I believe connect me to my ancestors, because I believe my ancestors guide me. No lightning bolts or Hogwarts for me. (sad face, I'm still waiting on my acceptance letter.) I do have a book of shadows I write down things that I believe are relevant to my worship, I guess it's comparative to having a bible to guide you when you feel lost. There are also many ways to practice, I am what is known as a solitary practitioner. There are covens, I'm just not a fan of groups of people. I'm kind of an introvert. The cool part about being pagan, you get to practice it in whatever way you want and it isn't wrong.

Here's the thing that sucks about it though. People are very judgmental. So I have to wait until I'm completely comfortable with someone to talk about my religion. Most people hear "Wicca" or "Witch" and they get super scared. I get it, there is a lot of stigma. Or I get called crazy, but to be honest, I think it's crazier you think I can shoot fire from my fingertips or that I'm going to pull a Carrie if I get mad. Just saying. The older I get the more I've realized, It's ok to let people assume, because that doesn't really change you, and it lets you know who you really want in your life.

All in all, being a witch isn't what people make it out to be. Most (not all), are actually very peaceful and loving people, we are taught to respect all life and the things that come from it. I know most of us, try to up hold that.