Nick Stoppel's Debut Album 'Wanderin'

Nick Stoppel's Debut Album 'Wanderin'

A seven-track debut album.

57
Nick Stoppel's Debut Album 'Wanderin'
Jana Marie Photography

This past week I was able to sit down and do a Q&A with vocalist Nick Stoppel who’s debut album “Wanderin’” drops Monday, August 22. Nick Stoppel, who graduated from the University of Missouri-Kansas City with a B.A. in music, has found himself touring different parts of the world with the chorus, Anúna. Along with traveling with the group Anúna, Stoppel has contributed not only as a group member, but as a soloist in the Kansas City music scene. Along with debuting his first solo album, Stoppel has achieved tremendous success as a member of the Kansas City Chorale, a grammy award winning vocal group. I was able to talk with about his debut album “Wanderin’” and here is what he had to say.

Q: How did you decide you wanted to get into music?

A: During high school, my plan was to eventually play professional football. Needless to say, that plan didn't quite work out. In terms of how I got into music, I started taking voice lessons at a university in Kansas when I was 15, and it was then that I really started to explore my voice. Both of my parents have degrees in the arts, and my mom is a high school vocal music teacher so I had some direct guidance in the household. With their support and vast musical wisdom, the choice to pursue music was an easy one.

Q: Who would you consider your biggest influences are in music?

A: Right now I would say my bigger influences are the voices of Sammy Davis Jr., Josh Groban, Samuel Ramey and fellow Kansas City Chorale baritone, Bryan Taylor.

Q: What can listeners expect from the album?

A: Listeners can expect a variety of popular musical theater titles, as well as some newer ones. I am especially excited to share part of an American Folk Song set by composer Steven Mark Kohn. This album is a huge step out of my comfort zone, as a majority of my work recently has been with choruses and chamber ensembles. I hope people enjoy listening to this as much as I did creating it.

Q: What is the biggest goal you have your musical career?

A: The ultimate goal, something I would assume most musicians just starting out strive for, is to perform full time. Being able to do what you all all of the time is undoubtedly the ultimate goal.

The album which consists of seven songs can be found on iTunes, Cdbaby, or you can purchase a hard copy of the album by contacting nick.stoppel@gmail.com.

The tracklist includes:

1. Broken Vow
  2. Santa Fe (From “Newsies”)
  3. Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (From Las Miserables”)
  4. Ten Thousand Miles Away
  5. When You Say You Love Me
  6. Wanderin’
  7. The Farmers Curst Life