New Year, New Closet And Here's How Poshmark Is Going To Help

I'm about to head back to college to start another semester, so instead of packing an unnecessary amount of clothes and shoes back to school that will collect dust because I "might need them," I decided it was time for me to let some things go.

34

When it comes to Poshmark, how you post your items is crucial to making a sale. You can add up to eight photos for one item and to be safe, you should use as many photos as possible. Make sure you have good lighting in your photos and it's best if your items are against a plain background. If you're selling a top, it's important to take a picture of the front of the top, the back of the top, the tag if the fabric is something you'd like the buyer to be aware of, and any details on the top that aren't completely visible in a far-away photo of the top. By covering all your bases, potential buyers are less likely to ask for more photos of the item, saving you time in the long run.

After you take photos of your item, you move on to a box that asks, "What are you selling?" That top we were just talking about, say it's from J. Crew. Instead of saying "Shirt," try to include just enough detail in the title. "J. Crew Top with Lace Detail" is much better. In the description box below the name of the item is where you will tell Poshmark users about the item. This is where you really hook the buyers. If it's really comfortable and flattering, make sure potential buyers know that. Here you can also say what you wore the item with, to give buyers a visual of an outfit they could put together with the top. If the item is new with tags (NWT) this is where you can tell Poshmark users that it's never been worn.

Once you describe your item, you're required to place your item into a category. There are countless different categories, which is why Poshmark is such a great place to sell things. The four main categories are women, men, kids, and home. Our J. Crew top would fall under women, and then we would select the subcategory "tops" and then we would select a type of top from a list including blouses, tees, tunics, and several others. With this feature, you're able to be very specific in your listing and buyers are able to be very specific with their searches. Under the category box, is a quantity box where you have the option to select if you're selling one item or if you have more than one of the same item. The brand and color of the item are also optional, but I recommend filling in both of these boxes to maximize the number of people who will come across your item.

The size of your item is required, of course. If you're selling something other than clothes or shoes, you have the option of selecting "one size" or putting in exact measurements. If you put in the exact measurements of a bag when you first list it, for example, it will save you the trouble of having to measure the bag later on if someone asks for the dimensions. Finally, it's time to name your price. One tip for pricing your items is to make the prices fair based on the condition and quality of the items. Items that are NWT can get away with being priced a little higher than items that are in used condition.

Once you name a price, it's time to share your listing! Poshmark hosts "Posh Parties" daily. Posh Parties are virtual events where you can share your listings of certain brands in a "party" with other users who are selling items from the same brand. This is a great way for buyers to narrow down their search and go straight to what they're looking for.

If someone buys your item, congratulations! You made your first sale. Although it's not common that someone will buy your item outright, it does happen. Usually, buyers will offer a lower price than what you're asking and if you have a certain amount you're wanting to get out of your item you can counter their offer until you reach a reasonable amount with them. Once you sell an item a pre-paid shipping label is emailed to you and you're responsible for packing the item and shipping it to the buyer. Most post offices have USPS boxes that are paid for under the Poshmark shipping label so the boxes are free of charge! Poshmark makes a 20% commission on every item sold and the shipping fees are taken out of your earnings, but buyers on Poshmark are usually willing to pay more for items they know have been taken care of. Once you make a few sales the fees taken out become unnoticeable.

When the buyer receives the item you sold, they are able to rate you as a seller and their purchase. Once they submit their rating, your earnings are available! You're able to cash out your Poshmark earnings at any time through a direct deposit or a check. Although it sounds like a lot of work, Poshmark is a valuable tool when the effort it requires is put in. At eighteen years old I made over $600 on the app and I've made tons of sales since I've been in college. It is tedious at times but once you navigate your way through the app you'll be selling (and maybe buying) in no time.