New Sensations

New Sensations

A lot of people would stand with the movement of all of us becoming citizens of the world, rejecting that mistaken utopia would be a wiser option.

161
New Sensations
Society6

It’s a shame that I will never get to experience life before the technological era burst into life. Although my childhood was very different in terms of the extent of globalization compared to a child’s life right now, it is safe to say that technology and globalization shaped my childhood drastically, and continue to do so until today. In truth, there is little that I can do about it, and the same goes for almost everyone else. The fact of the matter remains that the world is growing closer together by the day, in the sense that we are all becoming alike, connected in myriads of ways and sharing similar opinions on many principles.

It appears as though we are collectively striving to become a single group of people, and we are most certainly attempting to do that. The world is trying to have its people become its citizens, and although a lot of people would stand with the movement of all of us becoming citizens of the world, rejecting that mistaken utopia would be a wiser option.

We should hold on dearly to our identities, cultures and nationalities. Hold on to our strengths and flaws, looks and languages, principles and ethics, and whatever make us different. The ideal state of the world would be where people have learned how to live together peacefully, accepting and cherishing each of their distinct qualities.

The term “global village” has been talked about a lot previously, and it has come to a point that it has been eroded due to the fact that we are closer than ever to being one. We shouldn’t, on the contrary, try to make the world a global village because it takes away our identities, and our identities make us feel. Whether it is feeling happy, loved or whatever feeling our innermost selves seek, it can be agreed upon that we live because we want to feel. Our identities do that because seeing new places, hearing new ideas, or meeting new people with different backgrounds all make us feel something, and that is the feeling of something new.

If we get rid of our identities, then we will be throwing the opportunity to feel something new along with them. I have constantly asked myself why I want to earn a living, suffice to say that one answer has been standing out among the rest of them; and that is the urge to travel. It all stems from this innate yet developing desire to feel something new. It is in our nature to desire new things; however, I have described it as developing because it grows along with time as one begins to understand one’s life better.

But since capitalism is the world’s dominating system, we are born accepting and encouraging the idea of making the world a global village because we are consumers born and raised. Eventually, it will end up in a world that has lost the beauty of its colors, and everything will become black and white as we blindly attempt to make ourselves all alike.

This isn’t supposed to make you feel that we are very different as humans, but rather different in the sense that we have different ideologies. For an ideal world to exist with people embracing their differences, the world must learn to live peacefully and have differences be viewed as positive qualities rather than weaknesses.