NBA First Round Picks
Professional

NBA First Round Draft Successes

Where are the number one draft picks of the last five years?

39
NBA First Round Draft Successes
Samantha Clingenpeel

The 2018 NBA Draft was held on June 21, 2018 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn New York. The NBA teams took turns selecting potential players, who are eligible and wish to join the league.

The 2018 first selection was Deandre Ayton and he was drafted by the Phoenix Suns. Deandre Ayton was born in the Bahamas and stands at 7'1 and is 19 years old. He played for the Arizona Wildcats for the PAC-12 conference in the 2017/18 season. He was consensus five star prospect in the class of 2017 as well as a McDonald's All-American.

So how important is being the first selection of the 2018 draft season. A look at the last ten years first selection players my give players an idea.

The 2017 first selection was Markelle Fultz, he was drafted by the Philadelphia 76ers. He came from the University of Washington, born in Maryland He played only 4 games this season, and the 76ers are looking to trade in a possible multiple player deal.

The 2016 first selection was Ben Simmons, he was drafted by the Philadelphia, 76ers. Ben Simmons is Australian born and an Australian professional basketball player. Ben Simmons had an unbelievable rookie season, he was named Rookie of the Year. He led the 76ers to 52 wins and made history by becoming part of an elite group of seven other players that were named Rookie of the Year while helping their team win at least 50 games.

The 2015 first selection was Karl-Anthony Towns, he was drafted by the Minnesota, Timberwolves. A Dominican-American who played college basketball for the University of Kentucky. He was named Rookie of the Year. But there are currently trade rumors swirling around because of a conflict between Karl-Anthony Towns and Minnesota Timberwolves.

In 2014 Andrew Wiggins was selected first by the Cleveland Cavaliers. A Canadian born player, played his college ball for the Kansas Jayhawks. Before even debuting in the NBA he was included in a multiple player trade that dealt him to the Minnesota Timberwolves. His rookie year he went on an won the Western Conference Rookie Player for the month of December, won the Rising Star Challenge MVP, and was also named Rookie of the Year. He is still currently signed to the Timberwolves and is also included in trade rumors.

In 2013 Canadian player Anthony Bennett was selected first by the Cleveland Cavaliers. He played his college ball at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. He became the first Canadian to be drafted number one overall. But unfortunately that where his successes end, The Cavaliers traded him to the Minnesota Timberwolves after mediocre rookie season. He played for Timberwolves in the 2014/15 season, Toronto Raptors in the 2015/16 season and finally the Brooklyn Nets in the 2016/17 season. January 13, 2017, he signed to play in the Turkish Basketball Super league and currently he plays in the G-league as a member of the Maine Red Claws.

The players selected first prior to 2013 are still playing in the NBA and are considered very successful. Those players are 2012 Anthony Davis, 2011 Kyrie Irving, 2010 John Wall, 2009 Blake Griffin and 2008 Derrick Rose.

Players that were drafted from 2008-2017, only one is no longer playing in the NBA. I believe based on that, Deandre Ayton has a huge chance of not only having a long career in the NBA but becoming very successful but only time will tell.