My Tattoos Do Not Define Me, But They Are An Expression Of Me

My tattoos are the visual display of my personality and values.

36

Tattoos can be such beautiful pieces of artwork that I appreciate very much. However, a lot of people still hate them and will tell you whether you want to hear it or not.

I only have two very small tattoos and I still catch so much hate for having them. I've been told they are unprofessional and that I better cover them up for interviews. Do people not know that the ink in my skin has no relation to the knowledge in my head? My tattoos play no factor in my intelligence.

I also receive the disapproving looks and the disapproving comments from my parents and other adults. I get it, you don't like them and that's OK, but I like them and I am allowed to have opinions and I don't need you giving me yours through unkind words and eye rolls, especially when I am respectful of your likes and dislikes.

I also get the “what does your tattoo mean" questions. For one of them, it is a reminder of my faith, and for the other, nothing, I just liked the way it looked. Tattoos are an expression of a person's likes and of important parts of their lives. Not every tattoo has to have this deep meaningful relation to the person's life, but they can be just that.

Appreciate the art of tattoos and the visual display of someone's personality and values that they can give. If you don't like tattoos, don't get them, and go on about your business.