To My Poppop, You'll Always Be My Hero

To My Poppop, You'll Always Be My Hero

Some of my most treasured memories involve him, and I cherish every moment we get to spend together.

287
To My Poppop, You'll Always Be My Hero
Anthony Tirelli

Growing up, a lot of my favorite memories involve my grandpop. As a little kid, I always looked forward to him coming over bright and early on Saturday mornings to share coffee and spend time with my sisters, my parents, and I. Other times, I would sleep over at my grandparent's house, and we would all go out for Chinese and then spend the night hanging out together.

These may seem like simple things, but they are times that I will always cherish.

My grandpop was always at every birthday, every holiday, every set of prom or homecoming pictures, with a big smile on his face. Nothing is more important to him than his family and friends, which is one of the qualities I admire the most about him. He has the ability to see the good in everyone and is always there to offer a kind word. He always wants to hear about how everyone's day is and is there to offer his special brand of positivity if it's not going well.

When I first got my permit, I was having a lot of trouble learning how to drive and he offered to help me learn. No matter how many mistakes I made, he remained calm and patient, and never gave up on me. He believes in the people he loves and is willing to do all that he can to help them be the best that they can be.

Not only that, but he truly puts his heart into the things he loves. He is one of the best football players Vineland High School has ever seen, but if you ask him about it, all he talks about his how much he loves the game and the people that he played with. When his own football career ended, he spent years coaching different teams in Vineland, focused on instilling that same love of the game in the next generation.

No matter what, he is always there when I need him. If I'm having car trouble, I know all I have to do is call him and he'll be there as soon as possible. If I'm scared to stay home alone, I know his door is always open. If I'm upset and need someone to talk to, he's always willing to lend an ear.

When my grandmother passed away, it was a really hard time for my grandpop. Still, he listened to me talk about how much I missed her and comforted me as much as he could. After she passed away, we got much closer. Almost every day during my senior year, I'd get done school and head over to his house. Some days we would drive around town, while others I'd work on my homework in the kitchen; or if it was a Thursday, partake in "Stromboli Night" with him.

There's not one certain quality of his that I can point to and say that it's why he's my best friend and hero, but rather just the person that he is. Some of my most treasured memories involve him, and I cherish every moment I get to spend with him. He is one of the most amazing and genuinely caring people that I've ever known, and I'm beyond grateful for the jokes we've created and the times we've shared.

So, here's to you, Poppop. Thank you for being my hero.