This Is What My Favorite Necklace Means To Me

It took me awhile to figure it all out.

1276
notonthehighstreet

My Aunt and Uncle gave me a small necklace with three hearts on it as a graduation present. I am slightly obsessed with it. I wear it almost every day and people always ask me what it means. I wish I had a better answer to give them, but I often find myself lost for words. I tell them I like it because I think it's cute, and it goes with just about any outfit. Recently, I've been trying to figure out why I love this darn necklace so much. I love how it's so dainty and small. It has three hearts, one bronze, one silver and one gold.

In my mind, the hearts represent my past, present and future. They represent the sign of the cross, the Trinity. The bronze signifies everything that has gotten me to where I am today, and the silver reminds me to keep my heart in the moment when my head is always elsewhere. The gold gives me hope for the journey that lies ahead.

Having these hearts around my neck keeps me relaxed in stressful situations. I often play with them when I'm bored, in turn making my chest splotchy and red. I love the sensation of rubbing the smooth hearts between my fingers. It probably looks ugly this way when I'm at work and customers have to look at my sensitive skin. I see them glance at my splotchy neck and make a confused face. People often tell me, "Your neck is red, have you been scratching it?" I typically respond with, "Oh, I'm just fidgeting with my necklace." And that is when the conversation about its meaning begins.

Now I know why I love this necklace so much. It is a reminder that my life is God's masterpiece, despite the bumps along the way. It is a reminder to just let life happen, and let the cards fall where they may. Often times, when I think I have everything in order, a wave will hit me like a ton of bricks and i'll tumble into some sort of a disaster. But then I ask myself, is my life really a disaster though? What actually makes it appear that way? I ponder these things, most times when I'm leaning on my desk with the hearts between my fingers.

I encourage you to find something in your life, something tangible, that means much more than the price tag it came with or the store it came from. Use that item on a daily basis, to keep you grounded. Have things in your life that remind you of your worth, whatever they may be. Value the blessings in your life, because you never know what could happen to them tomorrow.

I grew up going to my Nana's house, and in her downstairs bathroom hangs a plaque that reads: "Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday, and all is well."