Moving Back In With Your Parents After College
Graduate

Yes, I Moved Back In With My Parents, No, I Am Not A Loser

For now, I'm a happy camper in the bed that I've slept in for years.

643
Ashley Leeds
Ashley Leeds

Sometimes moving back in with one's parents in one's childhood home post-college has a negative stigma attached. I am here to tell you that I am an example of this notion being perfectly acceptable.

Why spend money when you're still trying to get on your feet? Save some money and yourself while still being a productive member of society. Individuals should not be ashamed to live with their parents; after all, these are the people who have helped you embark on amazing opportunities and adventures for yourself.

Many college graduates move back home, and being in a comfortable and nurturing environment doesn't have downsides. While one may complain that lack of space from one's family is an issue, having a roommate in an apartment is no different. In fact, having one's own bedroom that is isolated is a nice way to decompress and unwind.

In my eyes, I have my whole life ahead of me to either live on my own or with a family that I create. My parents are still an accessible resource to help me learn to "adult" in my general vicinity. Being around my family provides me with a healthy and positive foundation, and my parents uplift me when encouraging me to accomplish goals.

Some may say that people who live with their parents past a certain age are "losers" who aren't spending their time in an efficient manner. However, I feel that as long as individuals who are college graduates are either working, attempting to work, or studying in school, they should be able to take some time to live with their folks.

Living at home doesn't make someone a bum, and people move back in with their parents for a multitude of reasons and should not be judged.

I am currently a first-year graduate student in the School of Social Work at Columbia University, and I feel that I have achieved so much already all while living with my parents during my graduate career. I had my time away from home in college, and instead of people putting me down for my choice to currently live at home, they should be able to understand the reasoning and rationale behind my decision.

Some people may think that it's crazy to turn down the opportunity to live in New York City. Perhaps I will move to New York City in the near future, but for now, I'm a happy camper in the bed that I've slept in for years.