The Most Anticipated Matches Of The 2018 World Cup By Group

Will Ronaldo start off his quest for World Cup glory in fashion or will Spain's hunger to avenge last World Cup's embarrassing group stage exit ruin Portugal's hopes?

229
Personal Photo

Ah, yes. 2018. Four long years have passed since the 2014 World Cup.

Four long years since the world stopped to witness a month full of controversies, full of shattered dreams, full of hope, and four long years since Germany lifted the most coveted trophy in all of sports in Brazil. Now it's Russia's turn to host the most-watched sporting event in the world. Billions will tune-in to this month long tournament that features the best of the best. As someone whose country didn't qualify (it's still a sore subject and it's been four years... Džeko still wasn't offsides), I'll get to watch the matches as a neutral, so I've decided to come up with a list of matches everyone has been waiting to watch since the groups were drawn.

Group A: Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Uruguay

Without a doubt, the most anticipated match of Group A is Egypt v Uruguay. Or should I say Mo Salah v Luis Suarez? With arguably two of the most prolific strikers in the world right now on either side of this match, things are bound to get interesting. Will Godin and Co be able to stop Salah? Will Salah have to carry his team? So many questions to not watch this one.

Group A schedule:

Russia vs. Saudi Arabia - June 14, 11AM ET

Egypt vs. Uruguay - June 15, 8AM ET

Russia vs. Egypt - June 19, 2PM ET

Uruguay vs. Saudi Arabia - June 20, 11AM ET

Saudi Arabia vs. Egypt - June 25, 10AM ET

Uruguay vs. Russia - June 25, 10AM ET

Group B: Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran

If you're not watching Portugal vs Spain, I have one question for you. WHY? Both countries have world class athletes, many of whom play on rival teams in the Spanish league, so tensions will absolutely be high. Will Ronaldo start off his quest for World Cup glory in fashion or will Spain's hunger to avenge last World Cup's embarrassing group stage exit ruin Portugal's hopes?

Group B schedule:

Morocco vs. Iran - June 15, 11AM ET

Portugal vs. Spain - June 15, 2PM ET

Portugal vs. Morocco - June 20, 8AM ET

Iran vs. Spain - June 20, 2PM ET

Iran vs. Portugal - June 25, 2PM ET

Spain vs. Morocco - June 25, 2PM ET

Group C: France, Australia, Peru, Denmark

This one's a pretty random group, but I think France vs. Peru will be the most interesting match of Group C. France's relatively young squad wants to bring back the glory days of Zidane's France and they'll be without legends like Ribery and Benzema. Peru's captain, Paolo Guerrero, will not be eligible to play due to a drug test that showed he had cocaine in his system. Both sides face a tough road ahead of them without their respective leaders, so it'll be interesting to see how, or if, they'll work through these problems.

Group C schedule:

France vs. Australia - June 16, 6AM ET

Peru vs. Denmark - June 16, 12PM ET

Denmark vs. Australia - June 21, 8AM ET

France vs. Peru - June 21, 11AM ET

Denmark vs. France - June 26, 10AM ET

Australia vs. Peru - June 26, 10AM ET

Group D: Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria

Argentina vs. Croatia is the one I'll watch from Group D. Croatia boasts an insane midfield, with Luka Modric, Ivan Rakitic, and Mataeo Kovacic being the headliners. Coincidentally, all three of those players play for Real Madrid and Leo Messi plays for Barcelona. Argentina is looking to overcome that humiliating defeat in the finals to Germany in Brazil, especially Messi. This is definitely going to be a good one, folks!

Group D schedule:

Argentina vs. Iceland - June 16, 9AM ET

Croatia vs. Nigeria - June 16, 3PM ET

Argentina vs. Croatia - June 21, 2PM ET

Nigeria vs. Iceland - June 22, 11AM ET

Nigeria vs. Argentina - June 26, 2PM ET

Iceland vs. Croatia - June 26, 2PM ET

Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia

Serbia vs. Brazil will be quite the match because Serbia is a team that has plenty of big name players, including Aleksandar Kolarov, Branislav Ivanovic, and Nemanja Matic. Brazil, of course, will be back for blood considering their heart-wrenchingly embarrassing 7-1 elimination by would-be Germany in the 2014 World Cup and the fact that they were the hosts made it that much more painful.

Group E schedule:

Costa Rica vs. Serbia - June 17, 8AM ET

Brazil vs. Switzerland - June 17, 2PM ET

Brazil vs. Costa Rica - June 22, 8AM ET

Serbia vs. Switzerland - June 22, 2PM ET

Serbia vs. Brazil - June 27, 2PM ET

Switzerland vs. Costa - June 27, 2PM ET

Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

The very first match of the group, Germany vs. Mexico, is an interesting match up for two reasons. 1) Will Mexico live up to the pressure US soccer fans are putting on them, since the US failed to qualify? and 2) Will Germany succumb to the Champion's Curse by crashing out of group stage or will they rise above? Only one way to find out.

Group F schedule:

Germany vs. Mexico - June 17, 11AM ET

Sweden vs. South Korea - June 18, 8AM ET

South Korea vs. Mexico - June 23, 11AM ET

Germany vs. Sweden - June 23, 2PM ET

South Korea vs. Germany - June 27, 10AM ET

Mexico vs. Sweden - June 27, 10AM ET

Group G: Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England

BELGIUM VS. ENGLAND. NOTHING ELSE NEEDS TO BE SAID.

Group G schedule:

Belgium vs. Panama - June 18, 11AM ET

Tunisia vs. England - June 18, 2PM ET

Belgium vs. Tunisia - June 23, 8AM ET

England vs. Panama - June 24, 8AM ET

England vs. Belgium - June 28, 2PM ET

Panama vs. Tunisia - June 28, 2PM ET

Group H: Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

The go-to match for Group H will be Poland vs. Colombia. With Robert Lewandowski on the Polish side and James on the Colombian side, there's sure to be some beautiful goals in this one.

Group H schedule:

Colombia vs. Japan - June 19, 8AM ET

Poland vs. Senegal - June 19, 11AM ET

Japan vs. Senegal - June 24, 11AM ET

Poland vs. Colombia, June 24, 2PM ET

Japan vs. Poland, June 28, 10AM ET

Senegal vs. Colombia, June 28 10AM ET