6 Money-Saving Tips For My Fellow Broke College Students
Education

Because living at home can be EXPENSIVE!

386

Going home for summer means no meal plan (no more endless food at SPIT), no free gyms, and having to get a job and save up money for the next semester. Although the idea of not spending a ton of money all summer might seem difficult it doesn't have to be. Here are some tips to help you save big while you're home.

1. Go food shopping

Shopping for your own food is a great way to stay healthy, make the meals you're craving, and save money. Although spending money on groceries may seem like a lot, it's much better than going out to eat and dropping $15+ per meal.

2. Make your own coffee

Paige McCarthy

Listen, I love coffee as much as the rest of us, maybe even more (I'm not ashamed of my 2 large caramel iced coffees a day), but being home from college means that we no longer have the luxury of getting coffee with the swipe of our Wildcards. As much as we love Starbucks and Dunkin', those $3 iced coffees every day are quickly going to add up. Instead, buy a bag of your favorite coffee blend, whatever creamers or milk you prefer, and start your day with a nice homemade coffee. And for those who claim they can't drink anything but iced coffee, try making it the night before, putting it in a cute reusable tumblr, and leaving it in the fridge overnight to cool. Your bank account and the environment will thank you.

3. Use nature as your gym

I'm a big fan of working out and lived for the convenience of having a nice gym to use at school. However, gym memberships at home can be expensive and not all of us want to spend that kind of money each month. Take advantage of the beautiful summer weather and workout outside. Go to a local hiking trail, find a good set of stairs to workout on (high school bleachers will do), and take a run on a nearby track or around your neighborhood. Even playing a game of tennis with friends and swimming at the beach or pool is good exercise. Just remember to put on SPF before hitting up the outdoors!

4. Carpool with friends

Gas is expensive and having to pay for it is a big adjustment when coming home from college. A good way to save money is to carpool with friends wherever you're going. By rotating who drives, you each get the chance to save gas, plus it gives the environment a little love. Also, why miss out on the perfect chance for your own carpool karaoke session?

5. Take advantage of student discounts

It's a shopaholics dream: four years of great discounts at many of your favorite stores just by using your school email. Taking advantage of these discounts is a great way to save money on those days that you can't resist a shopping trip and they can be found for many things including restaurants and driving services. There are websites online to help you find these discounts and one of my favorites is "UNIDAYS" because it gives you both online and in person codes- just try not to shop too much.

6. Make a jar

cdn.pixabay.com

Find a mason jar or old piggy bank and put a certain amount of money in it each week (I typically add $3). It's easy to set aside a few dollars and at the end of the summer, you will be able to gift yourself some back to school money.