What Being the Mom of Your Friend Group Means

Its the best and the worst all wrapped up.

5
Grace Bitzes Thomas

Today one of my best friends came into my room after taking two exams. She looked pretty worn out. My first response was to sit her down, hand her markers and a coloring book and make her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She stayed there for a couple hours, and I didn't think twice about it.

Being the "mom" of the friend group is no easy task. It's not something you sign up for really, it's something that falls upon you. It falls on you for certain reasons, and generally when it does you're happy about it because it's what your personality requires, and you wouldn't have it any other way. It's a blessing and I know, at least personally, you love it.

In college especially, being the "mom" means replacing actual mom when she can't be there. Sometimes it means giving a 20-year-old a coloring book and sometimes it means holding them while they cry about heartbreak or crazy roommates. It means that you know that bribery works even when your friends are in college and you end up saying things like, " If you help me, I'll buy you Sour Patch Kids."

Being the "mom" means that you're the one constantly trying coordinate events. It means that even when you have no idea what's happening you get texts asking. It means that you go to Wal-Mart even when you don't need anything because you're the one with the car.

It means you're the voice of reason. It means to have a knack for taking care of people, sometimes, even more than you take care of yourself. It means being the protective one. Sometimes, it means watching your friends make mistakes that break your heart and knowing that no matter what you say it won't matter. On really bad days, it means you're the one sitting in the Emergency Room waiting room because you're the one who got the text that something happened.

It means you know when your friends have tests or hard weeks. It means you're constantly checking in on people because you know what's happening with them. Sometimes it means people tell you things they've never told anyone else and you react the way they need. It means your heart breaks when your friends do.

Mostly it means that you got there because you have the personality, it's just the way you love people. You make things happen, you tell the truth, and you try your hardest to make sure that the people around you are happy and safe and comfortable and you love it. Sometimes being the mom is hard. Some days, you want to be left alone but when your people need you, you show up. Sometimes, being the "mom" is difficult, but you wouldn't want it any other way.