Miranda Hobbes: The Most Underrated "Sex And The City" Character

114

If you have a friend group of four girls, it is inevitable that one day, you will decide who each one is as a "Sex and the City" character. Your Samantha would boldly proclaim the title of Samantha and then list the reasons why appropriate or not (for all to hear). The group would then point out who your Charlotte is and she would modestly giggle and say thank you. Then you agree on a Carrie, whoever gets this coveted title is secretly jumping up and down inside. Then the final friend, that for some reason no one ever wants to be, Miranda.

No one ever wants to be Miranda, and I didn't either until I recently went back and watched the coveted episodes for the hundredth time. Frankly, Miranda is incredibly underrated character, and empowered woman. She might just be the best character from "Sex and the City," and here is why.

1. She's not afraid to give tough love, especially when it comes to love. Miranda is usually criticized for being mean or brutally honest. Yet, when you look back she's usually right. She does not say it to be rude but rather does it with her friends best interest in mind. Remember when she criticized Carrie about going back to Big for the millionth time?

“Jesus, every time you get near him you turn into this pathetic, need, insecure victim and the thing that pisses me off the most? Is that you're more than willing to go back for more.”

2. Yet, she's still there when it all falls through. Miranda was always a great friend. Despite the tough love, the guys that sucked, and the tough times she is always there for her friends. Bonus: this support usually was accompanied with a funny joke and a drink in hand.

3. She actually could change and inspire a guy. This one might be one of the biggest miracles of the show. Every woman dreams of making her boyfriend a better person, it’s the illusion that you can really change a man. When Steve opened his bar, he accredited it to Miranda.

“Are you kidding me? This whole thing was your idea! You always told me I should start my own bar. I never forgot that. I just never thought that I could, so... thanks.”

4. She's extremely successful. Miranda is a lawyer for goodness sake! Throughout the show she puts a focus on her career, fights the sexism at her firm and enjoys her success even when her peers or lovers aren't doing as well.

“I want to enjoy my success, apologize for it”

5. She's a foodie. She always enjoys a good brunch with the gals, but she always loves a New York slice of pizza. She also enjoys Krispy Kreme doughnuts. She also is alright with hitting rock bottom, remember the chocolate cake?

(to Carrie's answering machine) "Your good friend Miranda has just taken a piece of cake out of the garbage and eaten it. You will probably need this information when you check me into the Betty Crocker Clinic.”

6. She grows. Miranda is known for being witty and sarcastic. Yet, as the show processes she opens up and becomes more emotional. Her mother dies, and she leans on her friends for comfort. She falls in love with Steve. She learns to compromise and move to Brooklyn. Miranda does not loose who she is but continues to add onto it.

Next time you get stuck with being titled the Miranda, rememeber that means you have a lot to be proud of.