Memorial Day Is About Much More Than A Barbecue

This Memorial Day, remember those we lost serving our nation.

227
Jessie Searles

When the majority of Americans think about the memorial day, they think about what family party they want to attend. The debate how they can get to three different parties on that day, and how they can manage to celebrate the start of summer with all of their friends. People think about almost every detail of the day except the reason why they have the day off.

People forget to think about the 400,000 people buried in Arlington Cemetary.

People forget to think about the 405,399 people killed in World War II.

People forget to think about the 90,220 people killed in the Vietnam War.

People forget about the 1,196,554 people killed in US Wartime Military Deaths.

Memorial Day for many families is a day of remembrance for those lost serving their country. It is a day for people to remember those who we lost too soon. It is a day for families to remember loved ones. According to Dictionary.com, the definition of Memorial Day is, "a day on which those who died in active military service are remembered, traditionally observed on May 30 but now officially observed on the last Monday in May."

Many people this Memorial Day will forget why they have the day off. It won't really cross their mind while they are hanging out with family and friends. I am not trying to people who celebrate on this day feel bad, but instead, take a moment and remember those who we lost. There are people this Memorial Day who will be avoiding going to barbeques because they will be mourning the loss of a loved one. So be sure to keep those people in your thoughts and prayers this Memorial Day.