The Marvelous Mrs Maisel Awards

'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' Deserves All The Awards

"The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" has won countless awards, and they rightfully have earned it due to excelling performances and its witty script.

74

Ever since its release on March 17, 2017, "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel," created and directed by Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino, has received praise and widespread positive recognition. Back in 2018, it won a Golden Globe for "Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy" and eight Emmys in categories like "Outstanding Comedy Series," "Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series," and "Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series."

The series is set in 1958 New York City and follows an upper-class Jewish housewife named Miriam "Midge" Maisel as her life falls apart when one night, her husband, Joel, leaves her for his younger secretary. Later that night, she finds herself onstage, where she discovers her talent for stand-up comedy. Throughout the season with the help of her manager Susie and a few unplanned obstacles, she strives to find her a voice and become a well-known comic.

One of the reasons why this series is so fun and enjoyable is because of the riveting performances played by an extremely talented cast. Rachel Brosnahan takes her character Midge and embodies her perfectly. She's won many awards for her performance, including the Golden Globe for "Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Musical or Comedy" in 2018 and 2019. Her performance both on and off stage in the show is characterized by her mastered choices of hand gestures, facial expressions, and comedic timing. Another actor that deserves praise is Michael Zegen, who plays Midge's ex-husband Joel Maisel. We're not supposed to become sympathetic to the cheater, yet through Zegen's acting, we clearly see the progression of Joel coming to the realization that he's made a drastic mistake, making us understand his actions more and rooting for a Maisel reunion.

Something else that stands out is the script, leading to the series winning "Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series" during the Emmys in 2018. "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" is a show with a strong female lead set in 1958, a time where women weren't typically allowed to speak their mind and have a strong voice. In that way, the series is already unique and bright. Midge's humor is vibrant and what she decides to talk about in each of her comedic skits—her marriage, her family, her job—is always entertaining and fun to listen to.

"The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" is full of energy; it keeps you on the edge of your seat from the beginning. You're introduced to Midge's captivating journey to fame, making it a must-watch for anyone seeking a pleasant and funny experience.