Maltese Pizzelle Recipe

Maltese Pizzelle Recipe

How to make lace wafer cookies!

73
Maltese Pizzelle Recipe
alldayidreamaboutfood.com

My Nanna used to make pizzelle at each holiday, telling me stories of their lace theme and how she would weave Maltese lace with her sisters when she was young. Pizzelle are wafer cookies that come from Italy and Malta, and are made traditionally with pizzelle presses (which are a fancy type of waffle press). They're often eaten in their flat form with a bit of powdered sugar, or rolled and filled with cannoli cream, ice cream, or other sweets.

They're very simple and quick to make. Pizzelle presses can be found at quite a few places, such as Bed Bath and Beyond, Target, and Amazon.

Ingredients
-3 large eggs
-3/4 cup of sugar
-Pinch of salt
-1 teaspoon vanilla (or anise, depending on the flavor you want)
-1 3/4 cup of flour
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 cup melted butter
-lemon juice to taste

*Yields about 30 4-inch diameter cookies.

Step 1: Heat up and oil pizzelle press.

Similar to a pan, just spray a bit of water on the press. If it sizzles, you're ready to go!

Step 2: Combine eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla.

Beat until fully combined and smooth.

Step 3: Add baking powder and flour gradually.

Mix until smooth.

Step 4: Add in butter and lemon juice.

Mix until smooth. The batter will be thick, smooth, and semi-elastic - almost like a dough but too soft.

Step 5: Add a spoonful of batter to the iron.

The amount of batter you will put in the iron will depend on the iron's size. My iron has two 4-inch diameter presses, and I used about half a spoonful. Be sure to put the batter in the center to have the best shape possible!

Step 6: Press and remove.

The amount of time you will press the pizzelle will depend on your iron, but will generally be between about 40 seconds and a minute and a half. Mine lasts about 50 seconds. When cooked, they will have a slight golden color to them. Be careful removing them as the press is still very hot. Trim the edges if you so desire!

(Optional) Step 7: Shape the pressed cookies

If you would like to fill them, roll them around a small rolling pin (or anything of this general shape) while they are still warm. They will take whatever shape you choose, whether you keep them flat, make them into cones, bowls, or cannoli shells. Be creative!

Repeat until no batter remains.

And voila! You are done. This recipe is great for holiday recipes, gifts, or just as something simple to serve with tea and coffee.