Why Making Friends In Your Freshman Dorm At College Is So Important
Friendships

For The Freshman-Year Floormates Who Made Freshman Year Bearable

Thank you all for allowing me to breathe again.

403
Josh Rosenzweig
"Some memories are realities and are better than anything that can ever happen to one again." — Willa Cather

I knew early on in high school I wanted to go away for college. I always had this gut feeling telling me it was the right thing to do and to branch out and experience a new and unfamiliar ambiance. I needed a fresh start. And I'm so, so, so happy I did.

The semester is practically over, which also means my freshman year is coming to a close. I want to take a moment to thank all of the people I've had the pleasure of meeting and becoming friends with throughout this monumental stage in my life.

So, thank you. Thank you all for allowing me to breathe again.

I remember I was apprehensive on move-in day. I was afraid of not being well-liked or being alienated by my peers. But, this couldn't be farther from what I experienced that day. Everyone on my floor held their arms wide open, ready and willing to welcome new friends into their lives.

We became a family. I can confidently say the people I met living at Rutgers are more endearing and compassionate friends than people I've known for years.

I will never forget these memories. I will never forget the ceaseless loud music (Sorry Nat). I will never forget 20 people crowded in my room playing Mafia on a Tuesday night. I will never forget all the laughs, the tears, and the 2 a.m. conversations procrastinating any and every assignment possible.

I lost myself my senior year of high school and again when I had a bad end to a relationship towards the end of the first semester.

You all saved me. You all somehow brought back life in me and reminded me how special life is. I am grateful for all the people I lived with (and practically lived with) throughout my first year at Rutgers.

It's such a refreshing feeling knowing how abruptly people can change your life for the better. I couldn't have asked for a better roommate, friends, or living situation (despite all of our bathroom issues... if you know you know).

Voorhees, Floor 2, thank you. You will always hold a sacred and secure place in my heart.