'Like Crazy' for you, Valentine

'Like Crazy' for you, Valentine

15
'Like Crazy' for you, Valentine

I know I wrote about Valentine's Day movies last week, my bad, so here is another film in particular that you should watch this Hallmark holiday. Like Crazy is an artful romantic drama that some may even call an indie film, which is my favorite genre. I would have to say that my favorite aspect of the film was the heartbreakingly realistic plot that was acted out brilliantly by leads Anton Yelchin and Felicity Jones.

Not to place too many spoiler alerts in this brief review, but if you are looking for a feel-good movie, don’t turn to this one. The ending is not necessarily a sad one, but is rather an extremely true portrayal of how falling in love for the first time feels and often ends. Yelchin and Jones convey all of the whirlwind emotions and struggles that come along with such a deep and difficult love, making the film hard to watch at times because it is honestly a bit of a downer. After my first viewing of the film, I did not really walk away loving it, but after giving it another chance I saw the true art that it was all along.

My favorite film of all time is (500) Days of Summer, so I suppose I just really appreciate films with realistic endings and plotlines, although I will argue that (500) Days of Summer ended happily and will make the same argument for Like Crazy. While it did not end with a sunset or upbeat music, that does not mean that it cannot be considered a happy ending. That is a judgment I will let you make – if you choose to watch it, of course.

Another plus is that Like Crazy is streaming on Netflix, so all you have to spend on it is time. Again, if you and your significant other want a cuddly love story to watch this Valentine's Day, stay away from this one. But if you are looking for a great film with a heartbreakingly good story, Like Crazy is the one for you.