A Letter To The High School Class Of 2017

Don't wish it all away too fast.

11
Krista Little

Dear Class of 2017,

Congratulations! You have finally made it to your last semester of high school, a time that I'm sure you have been looking forward to for years. These last few months will be over in a blink of an eye, and before you know it you'll be packing up your things and moving to a new town, starting an exciting new chapter.

If you take anything away from this letter, I want it to be this: don't wish it all away too fast.

Don't get me wrong, college is amazing. I actually like it so much more than high school. You are going to meet so many new, great people, you get to take classes that actually interest you, and you are allowed to wear Nike shorts and hats (which happens to be my favorite part). With that being said, there are so many things about high school I miss and a lot that I wish I hadn't taken for granted.

First and foremost, cherish seeing your friends all the time. Most of you will probably be scattered across the state or even country come August. You will hopefully keep in touch and see each other on breaks, but it will never feel quite the same again.

Enjoy your time at home. I know living on your own and not having anyone tell you to clean your room or do your laundry sounds great (and it is), but you will miss eating home-cooked meals, hearing your parents tell you goodnight, and most of all, your dog.

Don't start slacking in school just because you're about to graduate. Trust me, I know the senioritis is real right now, but finish strong and make yourself proud. Just think of how amazing walking across that stage is going to feel.

Do all of the "senior" things. Go to prom. Sign up for senior week. Take a trip. Cheer on your school's sports team from the front row. Get a yearbook and make all of your friends and favorite teachers sign it. I promise you'll only regret not doing these things.

Lastly, don't forget to take a lot of pictures. You'll look back at them and smile.

This is your year. Take it all in and have fun!

Love,

A 2016 Graduate