An Open Letter To My Summer Camp Kids

A letter to my Camp kiddos, as I prepare to leave them

Thank you for the best summer of my life.

56
Photo by ajay bhargav GUDURU from Pexels

To my sweet kids,

If you would have told me three months ago that I would meet forty of the funniest, craziest, unique, and sweetest individuals, I wouldn't have believed you. While I have always loved kids and enjoyed being around them, I have never found myself responsible for the well being of that many six to twelve-year-olds.

When I applied to be your summer camp counselor, I really had no idea what was in store. I figured, oh we'll play some games, they'll run around outside, we'll go on field trips and that will be that. Boy, was I wrong.

All of you, and I mean all of you, have completely captured my heart. You challenge me, make me laugh until I think I could cry, and have taught me so much.

Each of you is so special and unique in your own way, and I cannot wait to see the type of people you all will become. You are wise beyond your years, and you have reminded me to look at life in a more fun way.

Even when I have to get after you guys for running inside, or remind you to clean up your mess, not a day has gone by where I have regretted my decision to dive headfirst into being your teacher.

The summer came and went faster than I could have anticipated, and it absolutely breaks my heart knowing I soon will have to leave you. I can't begin to describe how much I will miss each and every one of you.

I can't grasp that our days of having Just Dance dance parties are almost over. The days of hearing you all rap songs that I myself don't even know (seriously, who knew y'all were so passionate about Drake and Cardi B.) What will I do without your excited yells and hugs when I come back from lunch (even though I was only gone for an hour.)

Who will teach you how to crank that Soulja Boy? Will you still do all of the Fortnite dances, and beg your other teachers to play the entire compilation for you? Who is going to make comments about how old I am when I make you watch "old" movies?

To say that you all hold such a special place in my heart is a complete and utter understatement. You all have become my heart, my favorite group of kids, and I mean it when I say you will always have a friend in me.

Thank you guys for the best summer of my life. For making me work harder to be a better adult, but also for allowing me to embrace my childish side (I can't even remember the last time I played Sharks & Minnows.)

Thank you for allowing me to love on you guys, and for never failing to make me smile.