Letter From The Editor

Letter From The Editor

Welcome to Odyssey at Southeastern Louisiana University.

31
Letter From The Editor
Southeastern Louisiana University

Dear Lions and fellow Odyssey readers,

A few months ago, I was browsing on my Facebook news feed and I noticed many articles from a place called Odyssey. Most of the articles I read were written by members of sororities and fraternities. My friends from other schools started writing articles for their organizations and I thought, "That would be really cool to do." Flash forward a couple of months to September 2015 when I saw a post about writing for Odyssey. I clicked on the application and started to fill it out. When I was almost done, I discovered that Southeastern was not listed. Feeling dejected, I clicked the link to request a school listing and a few days later a message was delivered to my inbox. That was the start of Odyssey at Southeastern. Following that email was a nerve racking phone interview for the Editor-In-Chief position and many late nights trying to figure out how I was going to hire a staff to launch in one week.

As a senior, I really wanted to bring something to my school before I graduate in May. And thanks to all of the hard work and a team of great writers, Odyssey at Southeastern Louisiana is finally here! I am ecstatic to bring this exciting platform to your screens. If you are already familiar with Odyssey, then you may have seen articles pop up on your news feed from other schools. Well Lions, we now have our own Odyssey!

To kick off Homecoming Week, head on over to see what makes the heart of a lion from Gregory Griffith, one of Southeastern's drum majors for the Spirit of the Southland. Each week, new articles will emerge on this site from fellow students. I encourage you to share them with your friends if they relate to you and not only articles from fellow students, but articles published all over Odyssey. If you would like to be a part of the team, please apply here. If you are reading this in class, I have one thing to say: Pay attention, it's midterms week. We will still be here when class is over. Just bookmark this page.

I hope Odyssey brings a new voice to our community and the opportunities that arise with it. I hope it grows as a place for students to express themselves regardless of what their major or campus affiliation is for years to come. This weeks launch brings articles everyone can relate to; from dealing with a high school reunion, following a dream, taking risks or the importance of television characters in one's life, there is something for just about everyone. In the coming weeks, look for articles covering Greek life, gender equality, feminism, politics, parenthood and many more. As the Editor-In-Chief of Odyssey at Southeastern, I hope to bring you articles that make you laugh, think and reminisce. I hope you come back to the site to read the newest articles each week. And I hope you stay along for the journey.

Lion Up fellow readers, this is just the beginning.

Annette