23 Lessons I Learned My Freshman Year of College

College is definitely a learning curve.

360
Longwood University

Now that I have officially finished my freshman year of college, I have learned so much about myself, people, and life in general. This list is for the high school seniors heading to college this fall:

1. Don’t wear your lanyard around your neck.

2. Form relationships with your professors.

3. Go to their office hours when you are having trouble in class.

4. Participate in class even if it feels awkward.

It helps professors recognize you, which comes in handy when you need references or help on an assignment.

5. STOP. PROCRASTINATING.

6. Manage your time wisely.

College courses have heavier and harder workloads than high school courses, so time management is vital for keeping up with classes.

7. Turn assignments in on time.

Most teachers give late penalties for late assignments and some will just give you a zero.

8. GO TO CLASS.

9. Make friends or connect with at least one person from every class.

Those friends can give you notes from missed classes and answer questions about assignments and deadlines.

10. Work out, eat healthy when you can, and drink lots of water.

It helps enormously with stress.

11. Walk around your schedule at the beginning of the semester.

You’ll need to know where your classes are especially if you don’t want to be late on the first day.

12. Manage your money wisely.

13. Keep on top of scholarship deadlines.

14. Have a good attitude.

No one wants to be around someone who complains about everything.

15. GET INVOLVED.

Find activities and clubs you enjoy.

16. Don’t overextend yourself, though.

It is easy to get over-involved, so it’s good to stick with maybe one or two clubs you really like.

17. Be open to meeting new people.

That’s pretty much the only way you'll make friends.

18. Make good friends.

It might take some time, but when you find people who support you, those are the friends you’ll want to keep.

19. People flow in and out of your life, and that’s okay.

The people you hang out with first semester might not be the same people you hang with second semester. You’re not obligated to be with the same people all year.

20. Remember that nobody’s perfect, so don’t expect them to be.

21. Friends fight.

It happens. Resolve the issue and move on.

22. Don’t take stuff personally.

People get stressed, have bad days, get frustrated, etc., so lashing out is bound to happen eventually, even when it has nothing to do with you. Give the offending person some space and they will probably explain what happened when they feel better. If you don’t know the person, then it definitely wasn’t personal.

23. Have fun!

Classes are always your top priority, but you’re in college. Make new friends, try new things, and enjoy yourself!

College is a brand-new experience and sets the stage for the rest of your life. Enjoy it while you can!