10 Tips For Moving Into College

From Friends To Cups Of Coffee, 10 Areas Where Less Is DEFINITELY More In College

If you have not worn it in a year, leave it home, honey.

61
College

Obviously, there are many exceptions to these rules, sleep being one of them. But as I journey into junior year, I've noticed all of the things in my life that I have never and will never really need. Maybe you have some of those things, too.

Disclaimer: this is primarily going to be me yelling at my freshman year self.

1. Dorm shit

We've all done it, meaning myself and I'm hoping at least a few other people. And by it I mean spend an atrocious amount of money on things that are not only NOT necessary for anyone in college but anyone at literally any other point in life (shout out to my seven sets of string lights.)

I believe I can speak for most when I say we learn our lesson a little bit each year, lightening the load of crap as we trek our way through our bachelor's degree. But seriously, you do not need that second raincoat just because it is cute, you need maybe two but no more than three dresses and for God's sake, stop bringing books that you're never going to read just so you can have a little bookshelf.

2. Classes

We all love efficiency, especially when the prospect of graduating early is in the mix. Although a lighter load of obligations and responsibilities gives you the time you require to dedicate to the crucial classes you are taking that semester in addition to general self-care which we all lack to varying degrees. You are not going to end the semester on a good note if you take 21 credits, have two jobs, and still plan on having friends and/or getting any amount of sleep. And do not worry, if you stay organized, you will graduate on time!

3. Friends

I know, everyone wants to be a part of everything. And I am absolutely not saying anything against meeting new people. Although, college can be incredibly overwhelming, and the more time you dedicate to a smaller group of people who really matter to you, the better you will feel in those times of stress. It is easy to feel like you have a million friends in college, but who among all those people will be there for you when you really need it?

4. Notebooks

Wait until the first day, see if you even need one. And don't you dare buy a new set of highlighters.

5. Coffee

I know sometimes we need a pick me up in order to continue studying. We have all been there. But the more coffee you drink, the more you need to get the same effects. Which leads to a ruthless cycle that leads to both sleep deprivation and a broken bank. Try some nice chai or herbal tea that can be STORE BOUGHT and therefore approximately one million times cheaper than Starbucks.

6. Computer stickers

Just kidding, I love that shit. Clarification: In this GIF, I am Noah and Allie is computer stickers.

7. Food

Stress eating has been a common theme in my life for the past two years. I've found that focusing on eating only when I am legitimately hungry, not just when I am stressed or when I think I want food can be a lifesaver. I am NOT telling you to ditch the Oreos, I would never say that, but maybe dial it back a little bit.

8. Things in your backpack

Plan accordingly for your day. Consider what classes you may only need a laptop for. A heavy backpack is not only an inconvenience in the moment, but can lead to prolonged soreness in the neck and back, places we coincidentally find sore in times of stress.

9. Wall posters

It just ends up looking really cluttered, sweetie.

10. Studying

This one is a delicate balance, one that takes years to perfect. You MUST study enough to do well, but you also cannot spend all of your time studying! That is a oneway ticket to burning out and we cannot have that. Put in the work you know you need to, but also make time for a little fun and self-care!