Learning To Say No

Learning To Say No

No excuses, just the truth

23
Learning To Say No
Footy Mad

"No" was probably one of the first words we learned to say as a child. One syllable, two letters -- easy, right? Through time, it has seemed one of the hardest things to say. In a generation used to getting everything we want, saying no seems to be the hardest thing to say. Learning to say no is important. Saying no can set you free.

Oftentimes, when we say no to people we have to make a list of excuses as to why. How many times have we convinced our parents to say no to something just because we didn't want to go see a concert with our friends? Or how many ways can we say I didn't sleep enough/I'm too tired before it gets repetitive? After struggling with this problem, I sought for help. I started talking to a counselor about my inability to say no and how I constantly pressured myself to be this great friend in fear of losing people. Then she asked me, "Think of a time you said no to someone and it had drastic effects on your relationship." As I sat there, I couldn't even think of one.

No, hurts people's feelings, sure. It's not something we want to hear nor do others, but sometimes it's something that we need to hear.

After longwinded arguments and confusion in a relationship, it's time to end it. When he/she comes back, do not take them back. I know, over in our heads plays only the good times, and seems to forget about all the pain we've been put through. Nostalgia is a dirty liar that claims the past was better than it actually was. Don't let her/him play their cards again. It's time to say no. It's time to move on.

When a friend has a homework assignment for school that we've already done, don't give it to them. At some point or another, we will all get caught cheating or plagiarizing if we let ourselves and it's not worth all the trouble. We don't have to do other people's work because they don't want to. We don't have to let others copy our work because they're lazy. We can say no, we can tell them that this is their life.

We don't have to drink at every party. If a guy or girl hands you a cup, it's OK to turn it down. Movies make it out to seem like all people do it college is get wasted at parties and if we don't, we're doing college wrong, but this is false. We can have a cup if we want to, but don't let anyone force us. Say no, thank you, though. We don't need excuses, this is our life after all.

Most importantly, I feel like I could star this one a whole bunch of times. Say no when they ask us to do something we don't want to do. We can say no once and walk away, but we should not stick around to hear them antagonize us and coheres us into the answer they want to hear. Anyone who doesn't value our opinions and choices are not someone worth sticking around with.

So say it with me:

No!

No, I will not let you back into my life after you hurt me!

No, you can not copy my homework!

No, I don't want a drink, thank you, though.

No, I do not want to do .... with you!

No!

Saying no will set you free. Now, who's with me?