10 Ways To Learn As Much As You Can About Black History Month

Make the most of Black History Month and what it's meant for
213

Happy February! And Happy Black History Month. Don’t be that person who just retweets posts about MLK and Malcolm X. While they were prominent Black leaders, they were not the only ones. This month, you should become more well-versed in Black history. Here is how.

1. Learn about someone new every day

Instead of focusing on the most popular leaders, try to find some you’ve never heard of before.

2. Go to events on campus

There will be events all month about Black History, most likely hosted by predominately Black organizations on campus. Don’t feel like you are unwelcome if you are not Black! Those spaces are open to everyone and it will be an amazing learning experience

3. Do your own research about Black historical movements

You will find out about some through your research on other leaders but I think it is equally as important to learn about these different movements and their significance to society.

4. Read an autobiography of an important Black figure

There are many to choose from and their stories will be worth the read

5. Focus on current leaders

Learn about people currently working for the betterment of Black people. Even the less popular ones

6. Encourage friends and family to learn too!

It’s beneficial knowledge for everyone and you guys can learn together

7. Focus on more than political leaders

There were leaders outside of politics. Make sure to look at inventors for example and Black people in entertainment to see how they paved ways for the people of today

8. Factor in intersectionality

Black men are the most to be recognized during Black history month but there are plenty Black women and people in the LGBTQ community that people rarely heard of, Marsha P. Johnson is a good example.

9. Share your findings on social media

If you find something interesting don’t be afraid to share your findings and engage your followers

10. Finally, keep yourself aware of issues Black people face

There’s still much to learn about Black history, don’t stop when our month is over

I hope you listen to these to tips and learn as much as you can. Happy Black History Month!