Ladies Helping Ladies Through Strong, Feel-Good Songs

These songs all have strong messages, whether they were dressed up or straight up sass.

14
Life Hack

During the year of 2016 we, as women, were joined by many high profile celebrities in fighting for our women's rights and feeling confident in doing so. Many songs came out with strong messages, whether they were dressed up or straight up sass. Next Friday make sure these are on your playlist.

Beyoncé - "Pretty Hurts"

In this song Beyoncé calls out the pressure placed on women to look, act and behave a certain way. She addresses how she was told that what she looked like was of more importance than what was in her head. "Perfection is the disease of the nation."

Alessia Cara - My Song

Alessia Cara emerged from the music industry just this year. She opened for Coldplay on their world tour at 20 years old. This song is all about her rebelling against what society and specifically the music industry wants her to do. "I'll spend my life, penning my song, my song and the verses I write will speak for me. So I may never be what you assume, don't want your hooks or auto tune if I am off key then that is alright with me." You got it girl.

Daya - Sit Still, Look Pretty

Daya uses this song to address the old fashioned stereotype of housewives and how women's dreams should change and are achievable.

"Oh, I don't know what you've been told
But this gal right here's gonna rule the world
Yeah, that is where I'm gonna be because I wanna be
No, I don't wanna sit still, look pretty
You get off on your nine to five
Dream of picket fences and trophy wives
But no, I'm never gonna be 'cause I don't wanna be
No, I don't wanna sit still look pretty"

Grace - You Don't Own Me

Sad that this might not be clear at this point but Grace does a great job of making it quiet clear that despite being in a relationship she is her own person and does not have to follow any stringent rules. "You don't own me, Don't try to change me in anyway. You don't own me, Don't try to tie me down because I'll never stay." Now some will claim she is being dramatic or over the top. But her requests are fully supported. She sings, "I don't tell you what to say., I don't tell you what to do. So just let me be myself, That's all I ask of you!"

Alessia Cara - Scars to Your Beautiful

This song is now Alessia Cara's most popular. It is so beautifully written, so honest and relatable. I hope that this reaches many girls. Image is so important in today's society, she reminds us that there is so much more to the way you look and that we have made people forget what else is important. "You should know you're beautiful just the way you are. You don't have to change a thing, the world can change its heart."

So thank you, ladies, for helping us remember who we are and what is important. In today's world more than ever it is important to gain some perspective.