I'm Not Ready To Be Too Far From the Kids Table

We never really had a kids table to begin with, but if we did, I'd be at it.

31

To first set the record straight, let me just say that my family's Thanksgiving is AMAZING. My great-uncle Thom has everyone over, there are tables to fit 30, and there is always someone to talk to, sit with, or hug. I LOVE my family.

But this year I am going to my boyfriend's family Thanksgiving, and that's pretty crazy.

I know that in the scheme of things this is one dinner, and meeting people for the first time, and they aren't going to dislike me. I am very confident in myself. But even so, this is new territory for me. I brought a guy to family dinner last year, and it was super fun introducing him to everyone, sitting next to him and acting like an adult.

But then I got all the "when are you getting married" and "you're not pregnant, right?" questions. That was not so exciting.

I'm not saying I am assuming my boyfriend's family is going to ask me weird questions, but they MIGHT. They've never met me. I have no idea what to expect because my family is so loud and crazy and he says his is LOUDER AND CRAZIER. (That might be a lie, but I'm not going to call him out on it).

There was even talk of a family tree and trying to give me prep so I can figure people out when I get there, since his family is huge. I mean...it's a fun challenge, but I don't think I can remember anything besides my econ notes right now....

I am sure I am going to blend right in, but I can't help but feel a bit nervous that I am going to be nervous enough to talk someone's ear off. It's one of my biggest insecurities. And let's be real, when you're at the kids' table, you're talking about dinosaurs, mean girls at school, and the occasional TV show. The adults table has everything to talk about. And I feel like I am not going to be able to contribute to the conversation, especially with people I don't know.

I know Brandon's not going to leave me to flounder, and he'll find his favorite cousins and we'll be best friends by the end of the night, but I am still going to be pretty nervous the whole day.

And what do I BRING? My mom taught me manners, and you bring something to someone's house when you're there. I'm pretty sure Miss Manners says it's a law. I don't want to be too generic, but if I'm too fancy it looks weird. And who knows if they even like brie and cranberry (oh, right, let me say I'm thinking of making these little tart things that got brought to my family last year. YUM).

I'm really struggling here, guys. But if all else fails, I'll just eat my turkey and take everything in.