Journalism Matters Just As Much As STEM Majors
College

It's The Belief That Journalism Is Not An Important Major That's 'Fake News'

All majors should be treated equal.

109

Hello, my name is Lauren Davis. I'm currently a junior at the University of South Carolina. I'm majoring in broadcast journalism with a minor in sports and entertainment management.

Ever since I was younger, I've loved reading and writing. In elementary school, I often wrote short stories and I often read. When I was in high school, I took a broadcast class and was an alternative anchor. After the main anchor was absent from class one day, I filled in and never left the news desk. I fell in love with reporting and decided to major in it when I went to college.

My broadcast classes at USC have been very informative. I never knew all of the rules and regulations that come with doing journalism. After getting into my upper division level classes, my classes have begun to get more hands-on. We film and edit videos often and it makes me excited to graduate and do this for a living. While some STEM majors might make more money than me in the future, I am happy I am going to do something that I have a passion for. You never work a day if you're doing the thing that you love.

To this day, a conversation with another student replays in my head all the time. I made a 4.0 and she told me the only reason I made straight As was because I had easy classes. While my course load may not include as much science as hers and other majors, journalism classes are not easy.

Our classes include writing, editing, and filming just to name a few. In the world of journalism, especially broadcast journalism, we have to meet deadlines. If something is put out too late, you run the risk of that information not getting shared with the people.

Without journalists, the public would not be informed on what it is going on in their community or the world. Without an informed public, the world would be a big, confusing mess. Not everyone is cut out to work in the STEM field and that's perfectly OK. There is a reason that there are different majors because there is a job for everyone.

This article is not to say that STEM majors aren't important because they definitely are. It's to explain to some of the STEM majors, who look down on Liberal Arts majors, and teach them that these majors are also important. We all pay to attend our schools and we all will be on the hunt for jobs when we graduate. All majors should be created equal.

For USC's Odyssey community, I'm Lauren Davis.