I am a female, and I joined a fraternity
Education

That's Right— I Am A Female, And I Joined A Fraternity

Not everything is about parties!

147
Personal Photo

Yes, I know what you're thinking: "You're a woman, you can't join a frat." Well, you're right! I joined a co-ed fraternity!

Last semester I was looking to branch out socially, but I don't like to go out all the time as social sororities do. I love to give back to the community and helping others, but I want that connection with people as well.

Flashback to the spring semester of my sophomore year: I'm sitting in some gen-ed class and I get along really well with this girl who sits beside. One day she comes in wearing these Greek letters. I didn't know anything that happens on campus, so I just figured it was a sorority. It wasn't until I actually asked her about them that she told me it was a coed service fraternity.

A what?

That's right, a coed service fraternity! I was enthralled with the idea! I kept in contact with her, and we actually became really good friends.

So, the next semester, I joined this fraternity! I never thought I would be the type of person who I would be in "Greek life". Well, not technically.

Joining this fraternity has caused me to open up more. I have found myself being more social and involved on campus. I feel happier, too, as the fraternity organizes service events that allow us to give back.

To me, this is very crucial because giving back has always been something I think is important in life. I if you put good energy, and do good things in life, then you will be rewarded. For me, that reward is the pleasure of knowing I am helping others.

The fraternity has also allowed me to meet some amazing people, even some of my best friends. That girl I was telling you about? well, she became my big! Yes, we do that, too.

When I tell people I am in a fraternity, they usually try to correct me and tell me that I meant "sorority". I have learned that not all organizations with Greek letters are necessarily something that relates to social things. I am beyond happy that I have found a place where I do feel accepted and allows me to fully be me.