A Job Can Teach You A Lot, But Your Passion Makes You Who You Are

Working to survive, dreaming to live.

34
Flickr

Busy shifts, good and bad customers, aching feet, getting called in on your day off, always smelling like food.... ah the life of a server!

Waitressing has it's ups and downs. I've been a server for two and a half years now and it's definitely made an impact on my life. From long shifts to fast cash... meeting customers and co workers and ending up as friends.. to having the worst day ever and just wanting to cry; you never know what kind of day you'll have. Surprise!

Here's how I became the human I am today due to being a server:

1. I can hold an impressive amount of things in one hand (it's a talent).

2. I have quick reflexes.

Sorry I almost dropped your plate of fries, but no worries, my Spidey reflexes saved the day.

3. Whenever I, myself, am out to eat I always stack the plates when everyone's done eating and am exceptionally nice to the server.

I also love when they're super busy and keep apologizing about the wait then I see relief wash over their face when they realize I'm also a server and understand.

4. I'm pro at multi-tasking.

Gotta get three drinks to table four, light saganaki at table seven and set up table 22.

5. I collect pens.

6. A week later I'll whine to my friend that I forgot to give table one extra ranch when they were so nice, and instantly feel bad.

This happens a lot... Oops!

7. I judge anyone I'm out to eat with based on how they treat our server at restaurants and if they tip correctly.

8. "Wanna go out this weekend?"

.... "I can't I'm working."

9. I always have cash on me like, yay?

10. I know how to small talk and meet people because of my customer service personality.

Extrovert in the streets, introvert in the sheets.

OK, OK! Enough about the waitressing part. The key point I wanted to prove here was that although I don't hate my job and have learned a lot from it... it's just that: My job.

Writing is my passion.

In the morning (or whatever shift I work) I'm a waitress. But when I get home, I'm this powerful woman working hard to achieve her dreams and goals. Waitress by day, writer by night. Waitressing is temporary and my means for money to pay bills and help me make my way toward the real deal; my career/passion.

A job isn't forever and although it does teach you many things, what my job taught me most was that I don't like customer service and can't see myself in that field forever. It actually HELPED me realize my passion, which I'm thankful for. And if a job can mold me into the person I am (I love who I am), imagine what your career or doing what you absolutely love would do for you?

Never believe your temporary situation is permanent. Obviously, you have to do what you have to do to survive and make it out there in the real world, but never work your job only to go home and NOT work on your goals.

We are human, sometimes we have to sacrifice our time and maybe even do things we don't like just to work hard so that one day, we CAN get the life we deserve and all the hard work will pay off.

Your happy ending is out there, don't settle. Many people don't manage to achieve a lot and just settle for things when they deserve better. But the key factor is setting goals. You need to take action to get what you want in life. At work, I daydream and do a lot of wishful thinking about the life I want to live, but when I get home... I work on me and put into action HOW to get this fairytale life I picture. And let me tell you, that's the best thing you can do for yourself. Because no one in this world has your back more than you. So why not live it the way you should?