The Irony Within The Hamilton Issue

The Irony Within The Hamilton Issue

I stand with the real Hamilton, not the cast of the show.

22
The Irony Within The Hamilton Issue
People

Hamilton has recently been one of the most popular shows on Broadway and is currently sold out all the way through Summer 2017. Vice-President elect Mike Pence went to see the show while in New York and received political commentary rather than just an enjoyable show.

The cast of the show, whose audition call requested only non-white actors, decided that during the show would be a good time to lecture Mike Pence about discrimination. Pence responded respectfully by getting up and walking out once they finished their rant rather than engaging their ignorance and intolerance. He also (unnecessarily, in my opinion) defended their right to free speech and expression of their opinions.

The VP-elect paid money to go see that show and have an enjoyable night out with his family. When one pays for a service, they expect that service, not a political lecture. Would it be appropriate if he went to McDonald's for a Big Mac and received a political lecture from the cashier? No. This is no different.

Also, the same cast member who stood up and lectured Pence, has a Twitter account with less-than-stellar tweets. He has tweeted sexist, misogynistic comments about women, so why is no one pointing those out as a form of "discrimination?" when they are clearly very offensive. And why is it not discrimination or racism for a show about early America to refuse to audition any white actors?

However, there is a great irony in the whole situation. Alexander Hamilton was one of the Founding Fathers and writers of the Federalist Papers. In Federalist 68, Hamilton made a case in favor of the electoral college, which these sore loser liberals now want abolished. So in this case, I stand with the real Hamilton whose electoral college kept the Hamilton cast's criminal candidate out of office.