It's Okay To Be Roommates With Your Best Friend From Home

They say, "Your friendship will never be the same." I know this all too well. I promise, it works out.

86
Her Campus

Imagine this: You and your best friend from home have decided to attend the same college. You think it would be a cool idea to room together, but everyone else tells you otherwise. They say, "Your friendship will never be the same." I know this all too well. I promise, it works out.

I never imagined that I would be attending college with my childhood best friend by my side, but hey, here we are! Going into freshman year, you want to meet new people and its understandable thinking that having someone from home with you all of the time might hold you back. Will I go out of my way to meet other people? Will I stay in my comfort zone and be too afraid to branch out? Don't let these thoughts get in the way.

College is full of new experiences waiting to be explored! You won't have every class with your best friend/roommate so right there you will meet other classmates that you didn't know before. Also, chances are, you're going to join different clubs. This expands your friend circle even more!

Not to mention, it's very comforting to have someone like them around. Whenever I am upset about something, she already knows what to do. Especially since she already knows my whole life story, it's usually easy to assume what I'm upset about. She and I have been through a lot together, and I am thankful that she knows exactly how to pick me up when I'm down.

Also, when you bring something or someone up from home, they know exactly what you're talking about. It's hard to talk about how badly you're craving Stewart's ice cream when no one else understands how amazing it is. They understand how important it is when x started dating y from back home or when your family is on your case again.

Most importantly, you have always have someone to do something with. Whether it's to go out or get food, they're always willing to tag along. Who wouldn't want their roommate to already be their built-in best friend? I rest my case.

You can have the best of both worlds.