In-Office Microneedling: Here’s what you need to know!

There are numerous cosmetic procedures to treat aging and problematic skin. If you want to boost collagen production and enhance blood circulation, microneedling could be an option.

5

True to the name, microneedling involves 'needling' or pricking the skin to create micro-injuries. These injuries trigger a natural healing response in the body, stimulating the production of collagen. Microneedling can be done at home or your cosmetic surgeon/dermatologist's clinic. In Fort Worth, you can check for clinics like Skin Deep Laser MD that offer the procedure, along with options like Botox and dermal fillers. In this post, we are sharing more about in-office microneedling.

Is in-office microneedling safer than at-home derma-rollers?

Yes, definitely. While you can buy microneedling devices at affordable prices for at-home use, the results are not comparable to in-office microneedling. Some of the cheap devices can penetrate deep inside the skin and cause significant injuries. The common concerns related to at-home derma-rollers include bleeding, scarring, and infection. Microneedling causes minor injuries on the skin, and therefore, you have to be cautious about infections.

How long does it take?

Standard in-office microneedling can take an hour or more. The procedure is often combined with serums, or PRP therapy, for enhanced results. Your doctor will use a numbing cream, if needed, to minimize discomfort. There can be side effects, such as redness, tenderness, and swelling on the face, which should subside within 48 hours.

What to expect after in-office microneedling?

Your doctor will recommend a few products that will soothe the skin after microneedling. Keep in mind that you cannot use makeup or regular skincare products right after. Also, you have to be careful about skin exposure. Using sunscreen for the next two weeks is a must, and you must avoid direct sunlight for a few weeks if you can. Always wash your hands before touching your face. Do not use makeup products, brushes, or tools that you share with others. Doctors usually recommend against physical activity for two to three days after microneedling.

What can microneedling treat?

Microneedling is typically used for treating fine lines, wrinkles, and skin damage caused by sun exposure. Frequent sessions can also minimize the appearance of scars and other skin abnormalities. The procedure is also recommended for hyperpigmentation and stretch marks.

Should you consider in-office microneedling?

Talk to an experienced and board-certified dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon to understand the pros and cons of in-office microneedling concerning your skin concerns. They can guide you on what to expect in results, and you can see before-and-after procedures to understand the possible outcome. If you want to consider PRP with this procedure, you have to go for in-office treatment. PRP requires drawing blood from your body and placing it in a centrifuge to get Platelet-rich-plasma, which is applied to the skin after microneedling. Done together, the results are usually better.

You will have to get at least three sessions of in-office microneedling to see the desired effects. Get an appointment to understand the benefits and risks.