Immigrants are people too and should be treated equal

Immigrants, They're Just Like Us

"My fellow Americans, we are and always will be a nation of immigrants. We were strangers once, too." Barack Obama

99
Immigrants, They're Just Like Us
Ryan Rodrick Beiler

Recently, immigration has been a huge topic within the media. Now don't get me wrong, I love how much attention it's getting because people need to understand that this is a major issue within our country but, what I personally don't like or understand is how people can hold a view towards an individual if they don't even know them or make generalizations over an entire culture.

This is something that really makes me question the mindset of many people not only within America but worldwide.

Within this past year, hundreds of families have been separated from each other. Now I also understand that our president has passed a bill to reunite the families together but, the fact that this was an issue in the first place disappoints me.

I have heard so much backlash about this, and so many people are saying:

"Well if they didn't want to be separated from their children in the first place, they shouldn't have been trying to come into the US illegally"

Okay, now let me just get one thing straight, people come to America for a better life. Now why in the world would someone risk their life and potentially being separated from their family???? The answer to that question is because maybe where they were living at in the first place wasn't safe or maybe they wanted a better life for their family.

So many people view immigrants as lazy bad people that come to steal all of the jobs. This is something that people need to stop doing. Making generalizations about a group of people. Within every community, there will always be someone that is bad but their actions shouldn't have you stereotype the entire community.

Immigrants have been given the short end of the stick and that is not right at all. We all need to remember that we are all immigrants to this country we call home.

People need to understand that immigrants are not bad people. Immigrants are much more than what the media portrays them as.