If Biden Wins, Will Trump Accept Defeat?
Currently

It Looks Like Biden Is Going To Win The Election — But Will Trump Accept Defeat?

Trump has filed lawsuits in multiple states to slow or stop the vote counting process.

1820

Donald Trump addressed the public last night as votes continued to pour in in favor of former Vice President Joe Biden.

In his address, he claims to have won the presidency if you count the "legal votes" but if you were to count the "illegal votes," he would not win the election.

This has been a storyline Trump has leaned into over the past few days, one of unproven massive voter fraud that will prevent him from winning the election.

It leads to the question if Biden wins the White House, will Trump accept his defeat or will he fight tooth and nail to claim that it is rightfully his?

Trump is able to contest some states by asking for a recount if the popular vote is within a certain number (recount laws differ by state). His team also plans to sue Pennsylvania to stop the vote count.

From a top-down perspective, the necessity of counting votes past official Election Day makes sense given the context of COVID-19 which has forced millions of Americans to vote by mail. The numbers have been reported that Democrats have returned nearly three times the amount of mail-in votes as Republicans.

The numbers add up. As more mail-in votes are counted in key states like Georgia, Pennsylvania, Nevada, and Arizona, more votes are beginning to swing towards Biden. And Trump is claiming the election as fraudulent.

Trump has already declined on several occasions to commit to a peaceful transition of power and his claims of voter fraud make it even clearer that if Biden wins, there might be a situation where Trump will fight until the last moment to retain the White House.

This morning, the Biden campaign released a statement saying, "the United States government is perfectly capable of escorting trespassers out of the White House." Meaning if he wins and Trump stands his ground, Biden is confident he will be removed, one way or another.