I Am Considering Van Life

I Am Considering Van Life

You probably should too.

12
I Am Considering Van Life
https://pixabay.com/photos/travel-tour-touring-vanabode-1209515/

So here is where my life is at. I am about to be graduating with my undergraduate degree, but have to go to graduate school. What also comes with graduate school are more loans, paying for an apartment completely on my own, and taking on a few more bills. I am applying to schools all over the United States and a lot of these locations have a higher cost of living (very unfortunately).

As I have looked for apartments (both studios and for roommates), the very cheapest of living I can find is 600 dollars a month (with no utilities).

Yikes.

I am a big planner, and have considered how much I would want in my savings, how much I would spend over the course of two years on an apartment, and roughly how much I would spend on gas and food. I would be living very tight, and working a lot of hours while being a full time student.

Personally, I care a lot less about space and a lot more about experiences, so when the idea of living in a bus or an RV (which I know we are all familiar with) came into my mind, I began frantically researching. What my research has showed me is that there is a big price difference between renovating a bus, and updating an RV (about a 10,000 dollar difference).

I loved the idea of the bus initially, but the bus itself can cost (at a minimum), between 3 and 5 thousand dollars. Then you still have to gut and build the interior for the ground up. With an RV, you can get one used for the same price, but the interior is already completely done. With updates, you can complete an RV for around 6 to 7 grand.

You do still have to research locations that you can legally park it for long periods of time, but in the long run, this would save a lot of money over two years.

On top of this, think of the experiences you would have, and the flexibility you would have to travel anywhere you wanted.

Writing this article is talking me into it even more, so you will probably see me in an RV in the next year. Maybe I'll see you too.