Hispanic Heritage Month

Hispanic Heritage Month

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month.

49
Hispanic Heritage Month

In honor of this month, I would like to share with you some amazing and inspirational Hispanic people. I hope you find these people to be an inspiration to you as they have become an inspiration to me.

Sylvia Mendez

Sylvia is an American born with Mexican heritage, at just a young age she was the center of the 1947 case, Mendez vs. Westminster. Where her family and neighbors had fought segregation education for children of Hispanic decent in southern California. After retering from her career as a pedatric nurse she has devoted her life for advocating for children education of all backgrounds.

Lizzie Velásquez

Lizzie Velásquez is an American born with Hispanic heritage, she is a motivational speaker. Where she shares her story of the rare genetic disorder that she was born with, which causes her to be blind from one eye, unable to gain much weight, and affects her facial structure. For this many people have bullied her since a young child. As she has grown up, she makes awareness of her condition and is an advocate for anti-bullying.

Rodolfo "Corky" Gonzales

Rodolfo Gonzales was a Mexican American boxer, poet, political organizer, and activist. He is known for being one of the founders of the Chicano movement of the 1960s. He helped fight for equality which entailed access to education and voting rights. In his poems he talks about cultural multiplicity and oppression that his people have faced.

Raffi Freedman-Gurspan

Is a big advocate for the LGBTQ community in America. Raffi Freedman-Gurspan, who is a Latina transgender woman, she is the first openly staff member of the White House. While in her time at the White House she advocates for trasgender people of color and for policy shifts supporting trans inclusion in the government.

Sophie Cruz

At the age of only five she had contacted a powerful leader, the Pope. Sophie Cruz is the daughter of undocumented immigrants; she gave Pope Francis a letter during his White House visit in 2015 expressing her fear of her parents and others around to be taken from their families by ICE, as well as the devaluing of immigrants around the world. Now Sophie is a activist on being a voice for children of undocumented immigrants around the world.