4 Helpful Time Management Tips
Education

4 Helpful Time Management Tips

are you feeling stressed about the new semester?

241
4 Helpful Time Management Tips
https://www.pexels.com/photo/flat-lay-photography-of-calendar-1020323/

It's the beginning of the new year. New classes, new grades, new semester. It almost feels like a repeat of the first day of school, but just a little colder. Coming back to college and seeing all of your friends is exciting, but that ominous thing called school is hanging over everyone's head. What will this new semester look like? Where are all of my classes? The list could go on.

Life can become a little overwhelming transitioning back into college after a long four-week break, but don't lose motivation or be intimidated! Here are some helpful tips for how to stay organized and motivated this semester.

Plan out your week

I recommend planning out your week on Sunday. Sunday is a great day to reflect on the past week and look ahead to the next. It's easy to set aside 30 minutes of your day and devote it to scheduling out your time next week.

Write down dates to remember

Once I receive all my syllabi from my classes, I like to go through and put all the coursework in my planner that way I can see when everything is due. I also do this with social events, meetings, and birthdays. It's easier to schedule out time and prioritize specific assignments if you are aware of the due dates.

Color code

Another good strategy is color coding. You can color code your classes and make different categories. For example, some of my groups are academics, extracurricular activities, and family.

Prioritize

Remember when scheduling out your week to prioritize. I like to do this by listing out all of my tasks and put numbers by them indicating the importance of that task. For example:

• A 1 by tasks that are urgent (homework due that next day, an upcoming test, etc.).
  • A 2 by tasks that aren't urgent but need to get done that week or soon (applying for a scholarship, homework due later that week, studying for a test coming up, etc.).
  • A 3 by tasks that aren't urgent and don't need to get done, but would be nice to do (laundry, cleaning the bathroom, getting coffee with a friend).
  • A 4 by tasks that are unimportant, but would be fun and rewarding for your hard work (hammocking, watching a movie with friends)

While all of these tips are very important, here's my last thought: don't be afraid to take a break. College is stressful, but it's supposed to be fun, too! So hang out with your friends, try to read a book that's not for class, go for a run, give yourself time to relax a little so that when you get back from work you'll feel refreshed and ready to go!