College Campuses Need To Focus More On Student Health Before Anything Else
Mental Health

More funding needs to go into health and wellness programs on campus for struggling students.

35

For so many people, college is one of the most stressful times of their lives. Students are leaving behind everything they have ever known to begin a new chapter of their lives in a completely new place. Whether it be a new city, new state, or even a new country, students are bombarded with an abundance of unfamiliar elements. On top of that, students can very easily find themselves struggling with the increased difficulty of college classes. Juggling the adjustment to a new place, the college course load, and trying to make friends and hold a social life may prove to be too much on some students. So many students experience this, and unfortunately, so many students also experience a decline in their personal health.

It is absolutely important for our health to be the number one priority in our lives, both physically and mentally. Our bodies are our temples, and we need to preserve them at all costs. Unfortunately, while college campuses may provide some resources for students to do so, there are so many campuses that are not as helpful as they make themselves out to be.

It is understandable that with such a high population of students, colleges struggle to have a seamless help system. However, there is no doubt that they can be improved immensely. Students pay thousands upon thousands of dollars to go to great institutions for higher education, that it would be a shame if they had to cut their experience short all because their health is at risk.

Universities need to put more funding into health and wellness programs for their students. We need to begin easing the stress and pressure students put on themselves, it could be dangerous if we do not. Current college students are the future of not just our nation, but of our entire world. It is important to make sure we have a positive experience in youth while we still have it. In order to do so, universities should try to provide more funding, no matter how much, to improve the health and wellness programs on campus. Students need to know that there are people out there who are willing and want to help them, not just people who are helping because they have to.

It is time we start taking care of our students before it is too late.