10 Reasons You HAVE To Visit Hayward, Wisconsin

A small area that's worth the visit.

546
Madeline Schneider

If you were to ask me where my favorite place on earth is, I would say Hayward Wisconsin with absolutely no hesitation. Hayward Wisconsin is located in Northern Wisconsin and has a population of 2,317 people as of 2016. However, in the summer the population spikes a good amount because so many people vacation there year after year. What is there to do in such a small town? Quite a bit! From water sports to shopping downtown and even visiting a four-story fiberglass muskie, there's something for everyone to enjoy. Below I have listed 10 reasons why Hayward is the best place to vacation and why you should go there this summer.

1. Water activities

Although you can canoe about anywhere there is water, the scenic views in Hayward make it a much better experience. It's not uncommon to spot a Bald Eagle while sailing down the lake either.

2. Delicious food

From the pies at Norske Nook (pictured above) to the mushroom swiss burgers at Pat's Landing, your appetite will always be satisfied.

3. Beautiful sunrises & sunsets

Okay, I'll admit it. I have never actually woken up early enough to see a sunrise but if it's anything like the sunsets, it has to be incredible. I'm making it my goal to see at least one sunrise while I'm there this summer.

4. Great fishing

With so many lakes to choose from, you'll never have to fight for a spot to fish. As you begin to vacation here more and more, you'll discover secret fishing holes where you'll catch a fish each time you drop your line in the water.

5. Prime camping locations

If you're not into living in luxury, then there are plenty of campgrounds you can choose to stay at. Just make sure to tie up your food to keep the bears out. In all honesty though, the camp sites are ideal because they are right on the lake (for the most part) and allow you to step away from the hustle and bustle of daily life.

6. Home to the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame

If you've ever wondered what the inside of a four-story tall muskie fish looks like, look no further! Hayward is home to the freshwater fishing hall of fame where you can walk inside and make your way up to the mouth of the fish where there is a viewing deck.

7. The best fudge in the United States

Although this is merely an opinion, it's a great one. Tremblay's Sweet Shop isn't just limited to fudge. They have sour candy, regular candy, peanut brittle, salt water taffy and of course my personal favorite, 7 different flavors of homemade fudge. There is even a viewing window located in the shop for customers to see the fudge being made.

8. Home to the Lumberjack World Championship

I never knew there was such thing as the Lumberjack World Championship until I went to Hayward. This year it's from July 19-21 and it's not too late to get tickets! I know I'll be there.

9. A great place to relax

Hayward is where I get the best sleep. It's common to fall asleep to boats sailing across the water and even more common to wake up to the call of a loon. The weather is perfect for relaxing on/near the water during the day and roasting s'mores at night.

10. Make memories that will last a life time

The countdown to go back begins as soon as I get in the car to go home. Countless memories and countless smiles have been shared on each trip to Hayward and they are bound to last a lifetime. Only 2 more months until I get to go back!